Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,377 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 | From the time I got this truck near a month ago til now it's yet to start. I've replaced near everything electrical except fuse box and wiring harness, ie distributor, cap and coil, plugs and wires, points and battery. Cleaned and rebuilt the carb. Reset the timing as well. All to no avail. The motor turns over but that's all it does, until it runs my new battery down  I've tried starting fluid and gas down the carb. It spits and sputters occasionally but that's about it.... I'm at my wits end.... I'm wondering if the problem pertains maybe to fuel pump ? I checked it and it seemed ok, but I'm no expert... I may just replace it and see... It's wearing me out though !! Any idea's anybody ? Thanks in advance  | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 814 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 814 | How did you check the fuel pump? The method that was recommended to me was to disconnect the line at the carb and hold it over a coffee can or something while someone else cranks the engine. You should get good strong pulses of gasoline coming out. There is probably an amount it should produce with X number of cranks (or pulses)but I don't know what that is. Are you getting a spark?
Last edited by joeflanagan; 11/26/2011 3:44 AM.
1956 Chevy 3200
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 | We took it off and examined best we could... The plunger seemed to have good action so we assumed it was ok. We did also do the crank test, having a friend hold finger over hose while we cranked it... Fuel shot out of the hose with pretty good pressure, so we at least thought all that meant it was ok. We don't smell gas though while trying to start, even manually Working the fuel linkage. Maybe that tells us something ? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 220 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 220 | Your timing chain may be worn. It might be just enough out of time to not start. Unforuntately, the only way you can check it is by pulling the timing chain cover.
Chris | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 | Ok, sounds like that's next on the check-list of things to do. Thanks, I'll let y'all know  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | Where are you in Madison county? I'm just north of you, up in Tennessee near I-65 exit 14. Drop me a PM or an email, and I'll see if I can help you get it going.
Edit: A 292 doesn't have a timing chain- - - -it's got gears, and if the distributor is turning at all, it's very unlikely the cam timing is wrong.
Jerry
Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 11/26/2011 4:51 AM.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy bigchevvvy, 292s have timing gears not a chain. Remove your distributor cap and crank the engine just to make sure the rotor is turning, if it's turning then the cam is turning. Have you done a compression check on it? It may have some stuck valves from bad gas, or just from sitting, verify that you have it timed correctly, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 | Thanks guys cor all the cool advice... It has a good spark, took the cap off and bumped the ignition and the dist shaft turns perfectly. A knowledgable friend did a thing or two and says I got real good compression. That's whats baffling us, along with all the other things that seem so right, yet still no success. My phone number is 256.776.8430. I live just outside Huntsville.
Last edited by bigchevvvy; 11/26/2011 2:18 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 | Well, to get it to fire, you have got to have the right fuel air mix, good compression, and a hot spark at the right time.
First of all, make sure you are using NEW GAS.
Then I would do the following;
Get a compression tester, Pull all the plugs and test each cylinder. Do this yourself and have your buddy work the starter. Write the values down for each cylinder.
Pull the boot back from your plug wires and make sure each wire has a good hot spark off the block.
Check the timing by static timing the engine, remove the plug from number one cylinder and make sure the piston is at TDC when it is supposed to be. I put a piece of plastic covered wire through the plug hole 'til it touches the top and rock the engine back and forth to find TDC.
Pull the air cleaner and look down into the carb and work the throttle. You should see/hear/smell gas.
If all this checks out, I would look for vacuum leaks at the manifold and at the vacuum advance. If this checks out, borrow a known good carb and try it again.
By the way, sometimes stupid stuff happens like a batch of bad spark plugs. I had a similar situation to yours in my '51 burb a few years ago. It stopped running and starting well, and I found the vacuum advance was bad. Replaced it, and took the opportunity to replace the points/condenser and plugs. I could not get it to start and run for the life of me. Finally (months later) I though, what the hey, lets try new plugs.
Started right up on the first crank.
Kurt
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 | Kurt, thanks for the great reply here. I appreciate it.... I will look into it as you have said and start the process of elimination all over again. I will let you know. Thanks again
Troy | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 835 | Hey, your welcome.
Few other things, - you might want to make sure the distributor is in the right way, no telling what the PO might have done, and also check that the plug wires are on right,
153624.
Kurt | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 29 | Done all that.. New distributor, cap, wires, etc.... Had a very knowledgeable guy do it  all that should be good. Maybe we need to revisit everything now... I'm not sure about anything anymore.... I think I'd like to drive it into the sunset, but I can't cause I can't get it started :0 | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 117 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 117 | Had a very knowledgeable guy do it  all that should be good. Even knowledgable guys will accidentally swap plug wires around once in a blue moon. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 220 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 220 | Sorry 'bout the suggestion to check the timing chain...I forgot that the 292 used gears.
Another thing to check...could the engine not be properly grounded? If you don't already have one, run a cable from the battery to the engine block.
Chris | | |
| |