Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
153
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 96 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 96 | I had removed the transmission in my 2ton 46 Chevy and when I went to replace it the shaft wouldn't slid into the flywheel on closer inspection the clutch has somehow slid down preventing alignment. What is the best way to realign the clutch to install the transmission.
Thank you, Joshua | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy akguy34, you could loosen all the pressure plate bolts, and use an installation tool to put the disc back into position, or you could line the disc up with the pressure plate around its perimeter, then torque the pressure plate bolts back up. Personally I would remove the whole clutch and check the condition of all the components, it's an unusual situation for the clutch disc to "drop" out of alignment simply by removing the transmission. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | I agree with 3B in taking it apart for a look. When you have it apart make sure the clutch disc slides on the splines of the input shaft. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 96 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 96 | I removed the clutch and had it rebuilt does anyone know were to find a alignment tool? or have any tips for installing the transmission I can't seem to get it align just right to slip the transmission back in. the place I got the clutch rebuilt at had some installation tools but not the right size. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,554 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,554 | I just lined mine up today with a spare transmission shaft I had at the shop. Too bad your not closer you could use it. If push comes to shove and you have no other way of doing it I'll loan you a shaft if you'll pay the postage. You should be able to find a tool to do it with. Chedk the local parts stores for a tool. Dave 1941 Chevy"First rebuild - complete!"Follow the story in the DITY1941 GMC resting peacefully 1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete 1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration 1941 Plymouth stock complete 1941 GMC COE in restoration processRead his Project Journal1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 172 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 172 | tool =why not make a temporey one
out of of a piece of wooden dowl or steel bar or tube or even what i,v done in the past when out on site use an extension bar out of youre socket set take dowl,, bar,, or extension and a roll of tape electrical or masking tape. i found masking tape the best
test fit dowl or bar in the pilot bearing or bush if its a nice close fit o.k but if its sloppy fit put a few turns of tape around it untill it is a nice fit ok next offer the clutch drive plate upto the flywheel insert dowl,or bar into pilot bearing and work out where it passes through the drive plate the remove it all wrap enough turns of tape around the dowl ,or bar untill you can just push it through the drive plate ok
now assemble dowl,or bar and drive plate on flywheel along with clutch cover(pressure plate) and loosely fit bolts now alligne drive plateand dowl,or bar in the dead centre of the clutch cover and tighten bolts working diaganally until they are all tight now remove (pull out) dowl, or bar
and thats it one centred clutch
now its just upto you to carefully refit transmission
live or die do it with spanner in hand
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 96 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 96 | Finally got it back together, the shop was able to find a tool for me. the kicker was when my father and I put the transmission in we found out you have to depress the clutch, The amount of cussing and heavy drinking that insured after we realized that was what we were missing (probably would have had it in a week before) would have put a sailor to shame. Well finally got it running and with some creative attachments for a gas tank and a battery box I drove it out of the garage, it drove so nice I had never driven a stick with a properly working clutch the difference is amazing. I have a video but it will not upload right know I'll try again later. Now to the rest of the problems ahead. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | I used to whittle line-up shafts out of broomsticks. I don't think any broom in the shop had a full-length handle for very long! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Those big GM clutches are really nice to use. I was amazed at mine the first time I drove it. My first drive was onto a flatbed to take it to be safety certified. I put it in bull low and it just climbed up ever so smoothly. | | |
| |