The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (burgundybolt, TUTS 59, Hotrod Lincoln), 98 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,333
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 15
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 15
52 1/2 T Chevy Frame with a 55 235 engine. Before taking the truck down to the bolts, the engine was held in place, well, hell - I dont know how it stayed there. It looks like I need to find a different sort of cross member or perhaps do some mod but I would really appreciate the wisdom of you folks on how I might proceed. The existing cross member has been butchered a little and is too narrow for the engine mount bottoms to fit underneath.
Here are some photos:
http://s518.photobucket.com/albums/...uck%20Frame%20Rear%20Engine%20Conundrum/
Is there an A-dapter kit, cross-member replacement, or bubba technique? Thanks!


Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The problem isn't really the crossmember. The problem is the bellhousing. You have a bellhousing for a '55 Second series. The frame mounting is on a different angle than the earlier AD trucks. You'll need a bellhousing from a '47-'53 Advance Design truck.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 15
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 15
Aha. That makes sense but where oh where to find a bell housing? Short of finding one, is there a way to modify what I have?

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 15
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 15
also, I prefer to not break it all down again to get that bell housing out unless it is unsafe.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Put an add in the parts wanted section for a bellhousing. Easiest fix has been outlined above.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Swap the bell housing, as others have said


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Yep,that's a 1954 and up bell housing,make sure you also purchase the rear mounts .Call Jim Carter if you can't find the bell housing.


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 67
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 67
I have an extra bellhousing with the motor mounts on it. You pay the shipping and you can have it. I think the mounts are still on it. I'm in riverside ca.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0