The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gdads51, Hanks custodian, rfs56trk, tclederman), 94 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,376
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Getting the original badges cleaned up and re-lettered and can’t seem to find any
documentation on the color of the stripes on the ends of the front hood badge.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/139140066/large
From years of polishing all of the original paint was worn off. Any body got a good color
illustration or picture of an original one??? The resto pac only points out the bowtie and
letters.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
If heritage means anything my guess would be red. This is my grill emblem pre restoration. You can see the remnants of the original red in the outer stripes.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
That's my gut feeling also Richard, but I wanted to get some documentation before I stuck
it back on my freshly painted hood.
But thanks for the guess anyway.
All of the reproduction ones in the catalogs have the outboard stripes painted red and the
notation in Carters catalog says they are approved by General Motors and every one
knows that Jim Carters catalog is never wrong.
So it looks like I'm gonna go with the red since I can't find any thing to the contrary.

DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 10/25/2011 4:24 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
http://books.google.com/books?id=vf...=0CHkQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false They look red to me. You may have to go to the front cover that is what I was looking at.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Neil,

It would be nicer to find a GM color document instead of looking at the "restored" truck in the Brownell/Mueller book. Many of the photos in that book are of "restored" trucks, many with non-original-style parts.

Even GM illustrators were sometimes not exacting with their color drawings.

Denny,

It looks like the end-stripes in the 47 and 49 Chevrolet truck color sales-brochures are vermilion red. But, they are not absolutely clear photos/illustrations. The 1948 color sales brochure (reproduction) has the best illustration showing the red/vermilion stripes on the sides of the hood front-emblem

What year is your truck?

This is large file 330KB scan of illustration of front emblem. The scan res0lution was greater than the resolution of the image - there is a pronounced Moire effect/pattern.

Here is a lower resolution scan.

Last edited by tclederman; 10/26/2011 1:45 AM. Reason: A couple scans were added.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Pretty much convinced that they are goona be red guys. Like Tiny
was eluding to, it's just logical that they would tend to frame
the red letters.
If I wake up a 02:30 again this morning and can't get back to sleep,
I'll pick up the red paint brush and "get 'er done".

DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 10/26/2011 2:48 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
I painted mine red because the old one that was on my truck had traces of red left in it. But since I am a rebel I painted the lettering white just because I liked it better. I purchased a used one from ebay which also had red in the side grooves.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Tink I got her worked out guys, at least it looks right.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/139176037/large
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Denny,

What is the code/product you used for the Bow-tie blue? Will you use that same color on your 54?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
That bowtie was the only bit of original paint that was on the emblem Tim. It was in very
good condition and I saw no need to repaint it. However, all of the red was gone not even
a speck of it was left on the emblem.
The offset for the Mariner Blue that the color library gave me turns out to be a Chrysler
color, Royal Blue, OEM Code 45-148 or DT8385, the PPG Brand Code: 12471 in Delstar
(DAR)
The blue in the bowtie is just a tiny shade darker as you can see in the picture. I need to
take a picture of the truck out in the sunlight. The color is really way off with the artificial
light. I really think the PPG offset color is a little lighter shade than the original Mariner
Blue paint that is on the truck. But, if the original paint had lead in it, which it probably
did, that could accoiunt for the shade being darker than it originally was. 60 years and the
lead in the paint could have oxidized causing the color to appear darker that it was when
it was applied.
But that offset is the color that I'm going with and in answer to you question, I think the
codes that I listed would work but just a tad darker.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Thanks, Denny. I'll probably go with my 1954 Mariner Blue mix that I got from PPG. I think there were two codes for Mariner Blue (1952 and earlier and 1953 and later), at least as far as PPG was/is concerned.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0