The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk), 69 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,487
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#788279 10/12/2011 9:10 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 68
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 68
So, I had my eye on this black c40 in town for the last few months and I had stopped to look at it a few times just to compare it to my c50 etc. it was not for sale but I had always wanted to ask about it, see what the story was. I even had thoughts of trading my 88 ½ ton for it. I went by there on the way to lunch sat and it was in line at an auction, whoa, they’re selling my truck! I turned around and went back to see how it would turn out, fully knowing that I didn't have much money to play with or time to spend at the auction, I needed to be on my house roof while it was nice weather. Anyway, the wife was very understanding, I had been talking about it just about everytime we went by it. we discussed it and she said if it’s a good deal get it. what a lady. So she went to lunch with her parents while I stayed. It took another 2 hours to get to it and in that time I got a real good look at it.
Here’s the stats:
1969 c40 327 2 bbl 4 spd, single speed rear, 6.00 x 20 tires, hydraulic lift but no bed. Looked like it would be a 12 ft bed. The truck had 17,430 miles on it. she was a beauty. Very nice all original black paint. No rust and when I say that, I mean it. I know where to look on these to find it, I have had a lot of 67-72’s and had to fix it too many times. You could tell that it had been taken care of, it did not have the car cover / tarp wear spots. It didn’t have the ‘been left in a shed with junk piled on it’ marks either, it was just a very clean original body. Red interior in awesome condition. It still had the protecto plate warranty card in the glove box. Bought new locally and was 2nd owner at the sale.
I had worked myself up to ‘what could I sacrifice to get this truck’? I have this argument going on in my head the whole time and in the end I figured that I could come up with $1,200 but no more. It was the last thing to go and by the time we got there I was hoping that anyone else looking at it was bored and ready to go home. The auctioneer started asking for $4,500, and I almost choked, he quickly realized that wasn’t going to happen and started dropping until he had a hit at $1,000. Dang, he’s already too close for me, and sure enough it went past my $1,200 and ended up SOLD at $2,000. I am still having a hard time letting it go grin. I know I don’t need it, nor would it be the best daily driver.
So, I saw a few days ago, there was a similar truck with only 7,000 miles on it someone here bought. I do not have any pics of this truck and I know without them, it’s hard to evaluate, but how often has a truck like this become available? I am in Kansas, so it probably makes a difference on price, but was the $2k in the ball park? I know that it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay, just wondering what some others have experienced on price of these trucks.
jason


1937 GMC T16 468 BBC th350, 4.10
1941 Dodge COE 5.9 cummins, 9 speed roadranger
1947 Diamond T COE, hercules and 4 spd, all original
1955 Chevy LCF 9.0L IH diesel AT545
1962 Corvair (Elsie)
1967 Jeepster Commando
1968 K10
1970 Chevy C50 box truck
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
The way it sounds, I would say that it is well worth $2000, but at an auction I automatically have it in my mine to get an extra good deal. I would have probably been hoping on a $1200 price too. It sounds like it just so happened that at least a couple of people really wanted it.

You never know at an auction. I was bidding on a '66 Chevy parts car once and drew the line at $125. No one really wanted it and I bought it for $30. It's just how your luck goes. But that was just one time. I've been outbid many other times.

Bill


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0