The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (KEVINSKI, ronsway, Otto Skorzeny, Greg_H, 1955 1 Series, TrknGMC, TooMany2count), 157 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,481
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 68
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 68
How can I remove rust from inside fluid chamber
before I replace with rebuild kit?
Thanks,
Barry

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 275
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 275
Barry, I'd just use solvent & a stiff bristled parts washing brush & blow it out with an air gun, same as anything else.
Doug

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I wouldn't even try, you will never keep the stuff you didn't clean off from breaking loose and contaminating the cylinder.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Try electrolysis it'll get rid of that rust. ZooKeeper

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I can't help but think solvent etc. will leave a residual amount of rust in there.
I wonder if anyone has made a rotisserie that will spin parts like gas tanks and this master cyl. with abrasives inside in order to clean them out?


~Jim
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
If the master is that bad go with a rebuilt,,don,t put your prize and you at risk for a few bucks saved...doc

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 68
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 68
I used lacquer thinner and it did not remove the rust in the tank reservoir.
Just cleaned all the grease & brake fluid off.
I did read somewhere where it was better to use Alcohol to clean brake components.Why is this and do I need to reclean parts with Alcohol?
What about media blasting?
Thanks, for all comments.
Barry
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z24/focus2002_2007/100_1317.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z24/focus2002_2007/100_1316.jpg

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
Throw it away and buy a new one. I would even take the chance of some little spec of crud plugging the holes instead of a single acting master, leaving you with no brakes at all


Jeff
1947 Chevy 6400 2-ton
In the Gallery
1953 3/4-ton
In the Gallery
It was fun while it lasted
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
If the bore is heavily pitted you need to replace it or have it sleeved.

To remove rust on items like these, degrease and remove the scale from the part, then dunk it in a bucket of vinegar for a while. Check it every so often and hit it with scotchbrite. Vinegar will remove all corrosion and not remove paint. When it is done rinse it completely and coat the exposed surfaces with crisco or "red rubber grease". Nether is petroleum based and can then be cleaned with beake cleaner without fear.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0