The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Forty9), 134 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,385
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 91
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 91
Just finished installing rear glass in my 46 GMC.getting the glass in was a three hour test of my patience but I prevailed.I used a trick I came up with years ago when I was rigging boats to install the nylon rope insert in the rub rail.Not shure if it will work on the chrome lock strip but made inserting the rubber one I am using a snap.thread the strip into a 9mm (12point) craftsman box wrench,work box end of wrench into window gasket,don,t forget lots of soapy water.As you push the wrench along the gasket the insert will fall into groove which is being opened up by the wrench.be shure to check that the lock strip is going in corectly without twisting.when you get to the end don,t cut to short and push ends in with plastic tool.P.S.wrap the open end of wrench with cloth and tape so it dosent tear your palm up.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
As they say "Necessity is the mother of invention".....

There are relatively inexpensive specific tools to do the job,the 'chrome' is just a stiffer plastic version of the rubber so it would probably work too.
I'm glad you got 'er done though. thumbs_up


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 24
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 24
Should I attach the rubber gasket first to the window or the body?


Two 1957 Chevy Step Sides
1988 Fiero Formula
1987 Fiero GT
1984 Fiero Indy
... yes I like Fieros also..
;-)
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by DadsApache
Should I attach the rubber gasket first to the window or the body?

Unlike your post in the paint and body section in which your front windshield is intalled as Squeeze suggested,if the window uses a Claytonrite rubber with lock strip it should be installed like this.

I hope this clears up any confusion.....


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 91
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 91
I put the gasket on the truck first,after many tries i taped the top of the gasket to the truck with blue painters tape this helped hold it in place.I cant say enough that patience is the key,when you are ready to give up walk away from the truck,have a cold beverage and try again when you calm down.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0