Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,277 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 | Hi all, I have a line on a 54 powerglide that i would like to swap with my 54 manual tranny. Also available is the steering column and rear end. What problems may i run into? Would i need to swap the gears also? What about the drive shaft? Any input would be appriciated. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | I know that the frame bracket will be needed also. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 | Don, Are you talking about the tranny support bracket? | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | As far as I know powerglides were not offered in trucks so you must be talking about a car transmission. I highly doubt the steering column would be of any use and the rear end will be 5 lug. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 | Ah, I'm not sure what it was on, he just has a 54 chassis with the draive train. It may be more trouble than it's worth. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 202 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 202 | Actually I have both a 54 chevy car and 54 3100 pickup. I breifly considered putting a powerglide in my 3100 pickup.
I found the 4 speed for a 3100 with bell housing and the Powerglide with engine plate were the same length and would accept the u-joint housing on the original rear dif. All you would need is a Powerglide engine plate and flex plate for the end of the drive shaft. The car shift linkage should adapt in just fine. You will most likely have to drill and tap 2 holes near the top of the steering column to mount the bracket where the shift lever attaches. A little swapping of parts and you would have a usable u-joint.
I decided against it because I didn't want to be limited in what I could haul. (It is a pickup after all.)
Hope this sheds some Light
Walt Williams La Verkin, UT
Last edited by 54Belair; 10/05/2011 2:12 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 | Thanks for the info Walt.
I think i may just keep it as is for now, have fun driving it for a couple years, then maybe change it over when i do a frame off down the road. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Are you sure it's a powerglide? Is the chassis a car or truck? If it's a truck chassis that just my be a hydramatic, which was offered in '54 and that wouldn't be a bad swap at all. DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 150 | I know the Hydramatic was offered in 54, He said it was a powerglide. Not sure if it was a car or truck, but sounded like a car. He said i could have it for $30.00 so i figured i'd better jump on it. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 202 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 202 | There is one detail I forgot to mention and is you will need to fashion a cross member to support the rear of the Powerglide. A Powerglide's support is on the rear of the transmission.
And yes gentlemen we are talking about a Powerglide from a car that I am certain can be easily adapted to fit in a 3100 AD Chevy pickup.
Best of luck Walt Williams La Verkin, UT
Last edited by 54Belair; 10/06/2011 11:02 PM.
| | |
| |