The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (frogfarmer), 116 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
The shop next to me is working on a 59 apache which has a booster and MC mounted on the firewall. I overheard a mechanic complaining about the amount of flex in the firewall when the brakes are applied resulting in the MC assembly moving a good 1"+ upward.

What year did General Motors start mounting the MC on the firewall and what is a good remedy to fix such a flex?


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
I was reading in a mag about this. They make a braket that when you cut out the old dash brase you mount in the new one and it will stop the movment. If you were just to put in the Master cylinder and not the brase then ya it will move.

See in this photo From Classicparts it has the brase on the back

http://www.classicparts.com/images/71-925B.JPG


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
1960 was the first year for the firewall mounted master cylinder in trucks.
As GranpasTruck mentioned, there needs to be proper bracing to prevent the flex.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Thanks, I'm going to go over and sneak under the dash to see if there is a brace.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
I have one of those set-ups in my '53 and it's solid as a rock. No flex at all. Bolts to the firewall and to the dash.


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 85
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 85
I have a 52 chevy 3100. I mounted the booster on the firewall. Got the kit from performance online. The mounting bracket incorporates the support for the steering column. I have no flex issues. Master is solid.


Do something! Even if it's wrong!

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0