Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (Eileen, Uncles51, 1 invisible),
86
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,296 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 220 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 220 | Hello!
I've never had a manual transmission apart, but I want to learn how to tear down and rebuild one. I was at an antique farm engine show today (my other hobby), and, for $10, picked up what I believe to be a 50 - 60 Saginaw 3 spd. I figured for $10, it would be a perfect candidate to practice on. The casting #s are: Main case 3845122 (with K94 under that), side cover 3845044, tail shaft 3707195.
Question - IS this a '50 - '60 Sagninaw 3 speed with a non-synchro 1st gear?
If so, could this tranny have been used in a '59 truck? - I ask because I own a '59 Apache, and want to use the shop manual to help guide me through the teardown procedure.
Although I wouldn't use it in my truck (mine is a 3600 with an SM420 4 spd), I figure that it's probably a fairly simple transmission to get my feet wet, and, if I already have the instructions, so much the better.
I might try to rebuild it, depending on the cost of the parts. If not, I'll just reassemble it to get the practice.
Any watch-outs with this particular transmission?
Any other sage words of advice for first time transmission disassembly?
Thanks...
Chris
Last edited by Barsteel; 09/10/2011 10:15 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 506 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 506 |
-Tom
1950 Chevy 3100 w/ 1956 235
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Here are some pictures of an SM420 rebuild that I just finished up for my ‘50, 3600. Best advice I could give you is to get a GM manual for the trans and study it before and during your rebuild. http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/sm420_rebuild&page=all There used to be a complete manual on TCOMP but I’ve been looking for an hour and can’t find a trace of it. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,821 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,821 | Here's a sneaky trick I've used for years when assembilng standard transmissions. The cluster gear needle bearings have to be held into place on most of them with grease, as they're loose-packed without a cage to hold them in place. The thrust washers on each end of the cluster gear are also a PITA to keep in place while the pivot shaft is inserted. Getting the cluster gear into position without dropping needle bearings or losing a thrust washer will increase your vocabulary of cusswords, guaranteed! If you use a piece of wooden dowel rod cut off to the right length to hold the needle bearings and thrust washers in place while you manipulate the cluster gear into the trans case, it will slide out as the steel pivot shaft is inserted. Just make the dowel exactly the right length to fit between the front and rear holes in the case. Sand the dowel to the right size to be an easy slip fit through the holes in the case. In a pinch, I've also used a cut-off piece of garden hose for the same purpose. My tool box used to contain an assembly dowel for Ford and Chevy transmissions, so I didn't have to cut up a broom handle or a garden hose every time I built up a transmission! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Yeah Tim, that's the one. God, I looked for that everywhere, don't know why Keith doesn't double list it and add it to the Transmission index. Thanks
That's a very thurough guide to the SM420 rebuild. Has a lot more info than the booklet that Novak sends you with their SM420 kit.
Good tip Jerry, I've used the same thing before on the Chevy 3speed transmissions. The SM420 has a steel sprin retainer that holds the needles in the clutch gear. It gets pushed back into a recess when you slide the gear onto the main shaft.
Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | Spools from thread used to work pretty well. I would a but through the hole and use my drill press for a lathe. I think spools are plastic these days. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Yep, your dating your self Ken, only place you can find wood spools is in an antique store. DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
| |