The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Charles in CA, mick53, Gray_Ghost, BC59, klhansen), 168 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#778023 09/04/2011 5:25 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
Two questions:

Can anyone send a picture or reference a (diagram) on where I can find the right set-up for the tie-rod and drag link (drivers side). I am wondering if mine is backwards? Does the u-shape portion go towards the front the back?

Also, how do you get the old ball joints out to replace with a new set-up?

I am a novice mechanic and my terminology might also be wrong.

Thanks.

Last edited by katz; 09/04/2011 5:25 PM.



55 GMC 2nd Series(under construction)
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
There should not be ball joints on a '55 GMC. If yours has it your suspension has been changed.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
Start here

You can look through this for help. Click "contents" for the complete manual sections listing. If you don't have a manual, mark this page for future reference.


"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."

1957 GMC 150
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Are you referring to the joints on the drag link. They have a ball stud in them but as you stated, "ball joint" is an incorrect description. I am not sure what yours uses but the older trucks used a tube that had a threaded plug on each end. You remove the plug, pull out the cup and spring and then you can separate the joint.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8


I guess am referring to the ball stud on the back portion of the steering arm where the tie rod is attached. Do you remove these? If so, how?

I purchased a new set-up from LMC (tie rod and tie rod end). What is also confusing is that the steering arm set-up shown in the LMC catalogue (page 86) is opposite of that shown in the manual (i.e., with the curved parts of the steering arm reversed). I assume the GMC maintenance manual is correct.

I appreciated the replies thus far.





55 GMC 2nd Series(under construction)
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
katz,
I am looking at my Canadian manual for the 1955 second series. It states that on the 1/2 Ton models, there is an adjustable type tie rod end used. Now, this has the large slot screw plug in the end. If this is your setup, the joint comes apart by removing the plug and the outer contents. The ball can then be moved and popped out through the hole. Now, if you are replacing the whole tie rod assembly with the modern setup, the ball stud needs to be removed. The stud is permanently mounted in the steering arm with a shank that goes through and is swaged on the other side. The method for getting them apart is to grind off the swaged area and press it out. However I think you will find that the back side of the hole has a small channel or step inside and the swaged material fills this up. So the secret is to counter bore very slightly into the hole and then press it out. You want to make sure that the new setup from LMC has the correct diameter and that the shaft is not tapered.

Here is the method for removing the ball stud. Tech Tip The hint or secret is right at the end of the tip regarding the tiny chamfer.

There are some posts on removing these ball studs. As far as correct information, I would trust the manual first, always.

Last edited by truckernix; 09/07/2011 11:00 AM.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
truckernix, thanks for the information and the link. I will give this a try! I appreciate the help>




55 GMC 2nd Series(under construction)
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
Thanks. Got one out (passenger side). Now for the driver side.




55 GMC 2nd Series(under construction)

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0