The bed ways on most of those lathes are reversible. The end with the tailstock usually does not get much wear, and you can assemble it with the worn end away from the headstock. Unless you spend a lot of time working on very long stock that's supported by the tailstock, the worn area doesn't get used much. I am in the process of changing out the gearbox on my Atlas/Craftsman 12" lathe, and I might have an extra one of the part you need. I was able to buy an entire gearbox and reversing gear assembly on Ebay about two weeks ago. Email me at
[email protected] and I might be able to help you get your machine assembled. I can take pictures of mine as I rework the gearbox and email them to you. There are also operator's and parts manuals for that lathe available on ebay all the time.
Jerry
Edit: It would also be possible to get a machine shop to set the bedways up in a long-stroke surface grinder and take a few thousandths off the top of the ways, eliminating the wear. There should be enough adjustment available in the gibs on the carriage to compensate for several thousandths of refinishing. I don't believe that lathe has flame-hardened ways or a V-shaped guide for the carriage that would interfere with a regrind.
Jerry