The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (78buckshot), 116 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#771468 08/14/2011 3:49 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 82
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 82
Hello, all -

I'm going to replace the oil lines and fittings to the 235's oil filter. I believe the fittings are 1/8" NPT. How should I prep the fittings at the motor? I'm guessing I don't use PTFE tape. And, I'm assuming they don't go in naked.

If I were to get these lines pre-assembled, does anyone have a good source? Doing a "quick" search, I've only found them at American Classic Truck Parts for something like $35 a set.

Thanks!


1956 Chevy 3600 Dually
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

http://www.classicparts.com/1947-59-Oil-Filter-Lines-6-Cylinder/productinfo/84-151/

http://secure.oldchevytrucks.com/searchprods.asp

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/shop/s...p;dept=Truck&searchtype=FT&Go=Go

I think there would be no problem using a little Teflon tape (or dope/goop), but I have just tightened the brass fittings to the block.


Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
I like the brush-on teflon pipe dope. It's less likely to get into places it's not needed, like inside an oil passage, than the tape. Just brush a thin layer onto the threads, leaving a couple of threads near the end of the fitting uncoated. Teflon tape in an oil pump relief valve or a rod bearing can cause some pretty nasty problems.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
And as everyone has an opinion I do also, mine is Permatex 3H Aviation Gasket sealer. Use it on all my engine related fittings where I want to seal the threads, gas, oil or water, yet be able to get it apart down the line. No worry about getting anything in the gas, oil or water systems and pluging up a passage.
But as I said everyone has their favorite.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 82
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 82
Thanks for the info, guys. And the links; I even searched some of those vendors before I posted. Not enough coffee before surfing, I guess!

I believe I was overly concerned about the engine bay environment's affects on tape/dope/goop at first and wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything damaging.

Last edited by cfesting; 08/15/2011 1:43 AM.

1956 Chevy 3600 Dually

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0