The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (KEVINSKI, Dennys28), 96 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
It's a part of the drive shaft, and it's definitely looking like it's a part off of a 57 (cracking, degrading, and etc).. I'd like to maybe clean it up a bit, and replace what I can and what the budget allows?

Mystery Part

Also, would it be safe to take a pressure washer to these joints? (including U-joint)

U-joint


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
It's called a centre hanger bearing.

Yours looks like it needs replacing - a job I have to tackle myself but haven't got that far yet! :P

As for the u-joints - I blasted all the crap off of mine with a pressure washer, but not purposely hitting the grease nipple. After I was done, I put the grease gun on it to push out any water that may of got in.

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
Thank you so much for the help bigtonka... this stuff has been keeping me up at night dang

is this centre hanger bearing something that carquest or NAPA would supply? or do I need to do some junk yard diving to find the healthiest replacement?

I've never used a grease gun before, but I'm assuming you just pump the nipple full of grease till it excretes somewhere? I noticed the one on the MC and wasn't sure how much grease to pump in there.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Actually - it might be called a center carrier bearing. I know I can buy mine at various vendors - I'm sure one of the big bolt guys will chime in about yours.


As for the grease gun - usually the grease pushes its way out of the four bearing caps (when greasing a u-joint)

Depending on what your putting the grease to, you have to be careful - some of the newer rubber boots that have grease nipples could rupture - so you go slow and watch for the "excrement" wink

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by Bigtonka
Actually - it might be called a center carrier bearing. I know I can buy mine at various vendors - I'm sure one of the big bolt guys will chime in about yours.


As for the grease gun - usually the grease pushes its way out of the four bearing caps (when greasing a u-joint)

Depending on what your putting the grease to, you have to be careful - some of the newer rubber boots that have grease nipples could rupture - so you go slow and watch for the "excrement" wink

Sweet!!! I can now inject grease into nipples with confidence!! dance

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 224
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 224
just to get our terminology right they are
called zerks not nipples

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 117
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 117
center bearings are what i know em as


1966 Chevy C/60 Wrecker
Story in the Gallery
Pictures on Flickr

It don't rust if you run it hard enough
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
Originally Posted by Streamylc
I noticed the one on the MC and wasn't sure how much grease to pump in there.

MC- - - - -master cylinder? NO-NO-NO-NO-NO! That's not a grease fitting, it's a bleeder screw! Never, ever get oil or grease around any brake part. It deteriorates the rubber items and contaminates the brake fluid. I got a car in once for repair that the owner's boyfriend (a confirmed drunk) had added automatic transmission fluid to the master cylinder. When I gave her the estimate to replace all the wheel cylinders, the master cylinder and the rubber flex lines, and flush the steel lines with alcohol, she junked the car.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
the TF series MC has a grease zerk on the pedal arm pivot, don't think there's a bleeder on them

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by squeeze
the TF series MC has a grease zerk on the pedal arm pivot, don't think there's a bleeder on them

Bill

Yup yup, that's the one I was talkin about! ;-P had no clue the name of it!

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
OK, I just got a really bad visual about that one! Back when a lot of GM cars had a fuel injection pressure test port with a 1/4" flare fitting with a Schrader valve in it, I saw a couple of Freon recycling machines ruined by somebody connecting one of the lines to the fuel system. Gasoline and refrigerant gas equipment don't gee-haw too well!

I also saw a guy use the exhaust sample tube on a 4-gas exhaust analyzer to try to check for hydrocarbons in a cooling system (checking for a leaky head gasket) and he got the probe into the coolant. Antifreeze in a 4-gas is another no-no!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
OK, I just got a really bad visual about that one! Back when a lot of GM cars had a fuel injection pressure test port with a 1/4" flare fitting with a Schrader valve in it, I saw a couple of Freon recycling machines ruined by somebody connecting one of the lines to the fuel system. Gasoline and refrigerant gas equipment don't gee-haw too well!

I also saw a guy use the exhaust sample tube on a 4-gas exhaust analyzer to try to check for hydrocarbons in a cooling system (checking for a leaky head gasket) and he got the probe into the coolant. Antifreeze in a 4-gas is another no-no!
Jerry

Hahahaha! yeaaahhhh... I felt it in your words ;-P My next topic could've been "I accidently filled my brake lines with grease! helpppp!" dang grin *yikes*

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Streamylc,

If you are still looking for a source of a carrier bearing, 55-72 carrier bearing for 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. JC also sells carrier bearings for other years and sizes.

Note the years and the sizes it fits.

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by tclederman
Streamylc,

If you are still looking for a source of a carrier bearing, 55-72 carrier bearing for 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. JC also sells carrier bearings for other years and sizes.

Note the years and the sizes it fits.

NICE!!! thank you Tim!! (and I could have sworn I looked up and down through J.C.!!) the highest these go is to 3/4ton, but I would imagine that it'd fit the 2's just fine?


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0