The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gdads51, 68ironhead), 174 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,251
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 71
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 71
Hi there,

I have a 54 Chevy Truck that I thought was converted to 12V. I have been working to get this running for 2 years now and I am running out of options due to my very limited mechanical knowledge.

I have gotten no spark from the engine, though it turns...at least it did before I swapped out a Pertronix coil and point. It then stopped turning on teh 3rd try.

Could it be that the system was not fully converted, and my bigger question is how can I tell? The parts I know for sure are 12V are the battery, started, generator, and coil. What else needs to be converted? How can I tell if it has been?!

I appreciate the help. I want to see this thing through!

Carlos

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Most of the Delco regulators have "6 volts" or "12 volts" stamped on the regulator housing right by the part number. I don't understand why you keep blaming the regulator for the engine failing to turn, however. The only thing it does is prevents the generator from overcharging the battery once the engine is running. An engine will run with no generator, regulator, fan belt, or even if it's missing the water pump, it will run for a short time before it overheats. If you hand crank it, you don't even need a starter.

First, as has been suggested to you repeatedly, turn the crankshaft by hand, or put the truck in gear and push it a little, (gently, don't force it) to determine if the engine is locked up or not. Assuming it will turn without getting into a severe bind, find out why the starter is failing to turn it. There's only two possibilities there- - - -lack of battery current, or internal troubles in the starter. Stop trying to blame everything in sight and running off in all directions. Attack one symptom, and only one, and follow it until you find the cause of the problem. If you're not able to do that, find someone who can think logically and methodically, who also understands how engines and electrical systems work, pay him well, then watch and learn as he/she finds the cause of the problem.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 71
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 71
Thanks for the advice. Truth is I am baffled and will likely call an expert to figure this one out.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0