The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mr Wilson, Otto Skorzeny, cmayna), 99 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,099
Posts1,056,499
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#76572 04/22/2007 8:52 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 89
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 89
I'd like to put a more "modern" trans in my Big Bolt. It still has the stock 235 babbited engine. Will one from a later 235 work? Any others? Thanks.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
Yes, but you will probably need to change the bell housing. I put an SM 420 in my 1 Ton, but I had to change the bell housing and get my forward dive shaft shortened. You may also have to change the starter and flywheel.

I believe the easiest way to solve all of this, since you may need engine work to start with, is to find another 235 with an SM 420 already on it from another later model truck. That is what I would do if I was to do it again.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9
You ever think of putting a sm465 in? Those are common as dirt, and a pretty bullet proof trans, it's a 3 speed with a creeper gear. Probably would have to do the same changes you would with a 420, but the 465 would be a lot easier and cheaper to find. They put them in pretty much any truck gm made from the late 60s to the early 90s.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
This is the best place for transmission information that I have found. Novak Jeep Conversions

They have comparisons between the SM420 and SM465, what adapters are needed if any, etc.


195? Chevy 3800 dump truck
1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis
1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0