The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (KEVINSKI, DadsFirstPickup, Hanks custodian, Ponchogl), 198 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#761018 07/09/2011 8:12 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
After replacing the gas gauge sending unit on my '52 gas tank, the gauge still didn't work. This was AFTER PUTTING IN THE CORRECT RESISTOR for 12V. So as suggested, I replaced the wire just to rule that out. Still didn't work. So again as suggested, I took out the sending unit and operated it by hand, wires connected of course. It worked- and then I realized what the problem really was. Yes the 1st sending unit was obviously bad- broken wire- but the holes on the new one didn't line up exactly to bolt it back in the tank. So while I was fooling around with making the bolt holes line up (elongating the holes)I lost track of the angle of the rod that holds the float. It was hitting the side of the tank!!! So the new sending unit did fix the problem after all. My lesson learned- ALWAYS CHECK THE ANGLE OF THE DANGLE!!! dance


'52 3100 "once a Marine, always a Marine!!
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Panhead 59 and guys the pattern on the screw down sending units only fits one way, and if the sending unit was assembled correctly that one way pattern would have positioned the float arm not to interfere with the side of the tank, hope that helps.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
To bad they don't tell u that! I guess u are supposed to know by the service manual. Of all the treads I've read about the sending unit, I can't remember 1 saying anything about the bolt pattern. A simple note with the part would've gone a long way!! It's fixed anyway. Live and learn.


'52 3100 "once a Marine, always a Marine!!
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 304
I couldn't find a service manual for a '52 truck so I got the '58 car manual since I have a '59 235 engine in my '52. Closest thing I found. To put it bluntly, these old manuals really suck!!! Poor descriptions and very, very poor pictures.


'52 3100 "once a Marine, always a Marine!!
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
not sure why anyone would have to point out something like the sender being built so it can't be put in the wrong way without modification, and I doubt there's anything said in the manual about it - the year appropriate manuals are quite good, if you have some understanding of vintage vehicles and mechanics, but they weren't really written for owners who didn't have any familiarity with the company and the machine

you couldn't find a 52 manual because there isn't one, there's a 48-51` manual and a 52 supplement that covers the changes for 52, both available from most vendors, along with the assembly manual

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 99
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 99
What is the correct resistor? I was going to get a runtz.


Well, my time went so quickly,
I went lickety-splitly
Out to my ol' 55.
As I pulled away slowly,
Feelin' so holy,
God knows, I was feelin' alive..... Tom Waits, Ol' 55
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I do not know is this is a Runtz or if can be properly called a resistor ; however, the price is right and it works fine in my Suburban.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
What is the value of the resistor and do I put it in line before the fuel guage or can I put it near the gas tank?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

It is placed before the fuel gauge and it must be orientated correctly. The unit from Classic Parts has a nut/bolt that you attach the hot lead to, and the other end of the resistor goes to hot-lead post on the fuel gauge.

http://www.unbroke.com/runtz_guides.html

It is not a simple resistor.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 6
Thanks I just ordered it. Now on to the signal light switch and wires. Any help on wiring the front lights . The old wires are buggered up all the way back to the harness by the fender. To service the signal switch do I have to remove the steering wheel?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Holmesie54,

You have moved this thread in a different direction. You might want to post a new thread about the directional signals. In that thread, state if you have the original (or, original style) 1954 signal parts or if you after market parts. There are many people who have experience/knowledge on a variety of signal set-ups (I know the original-style 1954 signal set-up quite well).

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Is the resistor "required" if using a 12 volt Guage?
BillyN


Billy N

51 Chevy 1/2 Ton, 235 6 Cyl. Deluxe 5 Window, 3 on the Tree,Converted to 12 Volt

http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/uu96/rooster43095/Billy%20N%2051%20Chevy%20Pickup/
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
If you have a 12 volt gauge that's compatible with the sender you are using, then you're good to go.


1940 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup "KC"
A day without sunshine is like, well, ..... dark!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0