Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,286 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#75770 04/01/2007 12:49 AM | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 428 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 428 | Hi All, I was wondering, after giving my 52 a tuneup. I discovered my tranny was a 50 with the motor a 56 vintage. After reading countless posts, is it possible to put the bell housing on one bolt hole off? Everything I have read suggests that the timing port should be just above the starter. Mine is just below the starter. That requires me to place soft fleashy parts dangerously close to hard greasy, moving parts while setting the timing. Any ideas, comments? or was it just built this way? Jimmie. | | |
#75771 04/01/2007 1:10 AM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 962 | AFAIK, the 235/261 bellhousing is a separate piece between the engine and tranny. The timing window and pointer is a part of the bellhousing and above the starter mount, which is also part of the bellhousing. My '54 bellhousing has the window above the starter mount. Not sure how you could put this together wrong? Is there not a window above the starter? What year is your BH?
Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:
Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
| | |
#75772 04/01/2007 1:28 AM | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 428 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 428 | Sorry I left out a bit of info. Mine is a 52 with a 56 235 in it. No there is not an opening above the starter. It under the starter, whitch makes timing it dicey. To see the bb and pointer you must stick your upper body between the inner fender, motor, and fan blade just to see the the opening. The old girl runs well, and I timed her with other means. It just seems to me that something isn't kosher if you know what I mean. Jimmie. | | |
#75773 04/01/2007 3:48 AM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Jimmie D,
I thought the bellhousing ended just a little below the bottom starter bolt. Would the engineers have intended you to stand on your head to time this engine. There is a rubber plug made to cover the peep hole...maybe yours is covered and you just don't see it. Strange goings on!
Stuart | | |
#75774 04/01/2007 4:09 AM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | OK you made me do it! I crawled my fat behind under the truck to look. There isn't any kind of hole there below the starter. Something just seems odd here. Any way you can post a pic of what you've got? It just seems very strange. Every 216/235/261 I've ever seen has the timing port above the starter, and I've never seen a plug in one, though I suppose they might have had one at one time.
Bill Burmeister | | |
#75775 04/01/2007 4:10 AM | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Jimmie - correct timing hole on any 235 is up and toward the block from the starter marked with white X here - impossible to put the bell housing on "wrong", if yours doesn't have a hole there you have some wierd bellhousing Bill | | |
#75776 04/02/2007 3:33 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | Jimmy, I'm a seven decade old fart with creaky joints so leaning over a fender with my head and back twisted to see the ball bearing was a real trial, especially when you toss in poor eyesight. While I had the cover off to adjust the valves I rolled the engine until the intake valve on #1 opened and closed and the ball was under the pointer. Then I attatched a pointer to the timing cover and painted a white line under it on the front pulley. Unless I twist the crankshaft it's just as accurate as the one on the flywheel and a bunch easier to see.
Evan
| | |
#75777 04/02/2007 3:55 AM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 67 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 67 | I have had one 235 that did have rubber plug in the timing hole. Looked factory to me. | | |
#75778 04/02/2007 4:25 AM | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 428 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 428 | Hi Eveybody, I am back in town for a while. Thanks for all the input. Longbox55 sorry I got you out under your ride looking for holes. My setup is like the pic Red58 posted, I did as coilover did. After manually turning the motor and lining the BB up with the pointer on the power stroke I made my marks. Once again thanks to everyone for their time and effort, Jimmie. | | |
#75779 04/02/2007 7:11 PM | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | Jimmie D, If your flywheel is older than 1955 (which is possible with a 1950 tranny in a 1952 truck) then the timing mark is for the original 216 and not a 1956 vintage 235. If you have a 6 volt starter on your truck then the mark is of no use to you.
Curt B.
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | |
#75780 04/03/2007 1:34 AM | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 428 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 428 | Curt B, thanks for pointing that out. I think the P.O. kept it all 56 except the tranny. I lined up the BB and pointer. That was enough to get the truck to run, then played with the timing untill it sounded "right". It runs well, maybe just a bit rich. At least I get to drive it while I work out the rest of the kinks. Jimmie. | | |
#75781 04/04/2007 3:56 PM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | Jimmie D,
Sounds like you have things under control.
Before I knew better (which means before I got the great advice from this forum), I used the bell housing hole on the driver's side and set the timing to a bolt hole on the flywheel. No pointer but it actually worked pretty well. 1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | |
#75782 04/04/2007 6:13 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | Hi,
This is a great thread. Would/could someone please attach a picture of the bb, pointer, painted mark.
I am confused.
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | |
| |