The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shaffer's1950, J Lucas, wilbur53, baldeagle), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,297
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#75770 04/01/2007 12:49 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
Hi All,
I was wondering, after giving my 52 a tuneup. I discovered my tranny was a 50 with the motor a 56 vintage. After reading countless posts, is it possible to put the bell housing on one bolt hole off? Everything I have read suggests that the timing port should be just above the starter. Mine is just below the starter. That requires me to place soft fleashy parts dangerously close to hard greasy, moving parts while setting the timing. Any ideas, comments? or was it just built this way? Jimmie.

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
AFAIK, the 235/261 bellhousing is a separate piece between the engine and tranny. The timing window and pointer is a part of the bellhousing and above the starter mount, which is also part of the bellhousing. My '54 bellhousing has the window above the starter mount. Not sure how you could put this together wrong? Is there not a window above the starter? What year is your BH?


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
Sorry I left out a bit of info. Mine is a 52 with a 56 235 in it. No there is not an opening above the starter. It under the starter, whitch makes timing it dicey. To see the bb and pointer you must stick your upper body between the inner fender, motor, and fan blade just to see the the opening. The old girl runs well, and I timed her with other means. It just seems to me that something isn't kosher if you know what I mean. Jimmie.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Jimmie D,

I thought the bellhousing ended just a little below the bottom starter bolt. Would the engineers have intended you to stand on your head to time this engine. There is a rubber plug made to cover the peep hole...maybe yours is covered and you just don't see it. Strange goings on!

Stuart

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
OK you made me do it! I crawled my fat behind under the truck to look. There isn't any kind of hole there below the starter. Something just seems odd here. Any way you can post a pic of what you've got? It just seems very strange. Every 216/235/261 I've ever seen has the timing port above the starter, and I've never seen a plug in one, though I suppose they might have had one at one time.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Jimmie - correct timing hole on any 235 is up and toward the block from the starter marked with white X here - impossible to put the bell housing on "wrong", if yours doesn't have a hole there you have some wierd bellhousing

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Jimmy, I'm a seven decade old fart with creaky joints so leaning over a fender with my head and back twisted to see the ball bearing was a real trial, especially when you toss in poor eyesight. While I had the cover off to adjust the valves I rolled the engine until the intake valve on #1 opened and closed and the ball was under the pointer. Then I attatched a pointer to the timing cover and painted a white line under it on the front pulley. Unless I twist the crankshaft it's just as accurate as the one on the flywheel and a bunch easier to see.


Evan
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 67
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 67
I have had one 235 that did have rubber plug in the timing hole. Looked factory to me.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
Hi Eveybody, I am back in town for a while. Thanks for all the input. Longbox55 sorry I got you out under your ride looking for holes. My setup is like the pic Red58 posted, I did as coilover did. After manually turning the motor and lining the BB up with the pointer on the power stroke I made my marks. Once again thanks to everyone for their time and effort, Jimmie.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Jimmie D,
If your flywheel is older than 1955 (which is possible with a 1950 tranny in a 1952 truck) then the timing mark is for the original 216 and not a 1956 vintage 235. If you have a 6 volt starter on your truck then the mark is of no use to you.

Curt B.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
Curt B, thanks for pointing that out. I think the P.O. kept it all 56 except the tranny. I lined up the BB and pointer. That was enough to get the truck to run, then played with the timing untill it sounded "right". It runs well, maybe just a bit rich. At least I get to drive it while I work out the rest of the kinks. Jimmie.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Jimmie D,

Sounds like you have things under control.

Before I knew better (which means before I got the great advice from this forum), I used the bell housing hole on the driver's side and set the timing to a bolt hole on the flywheel. No pointer but it actually worked pretty well.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Hi,

This is a great thread. Would/could someone please attach a picture of the bb, pointer, painted mark.

I am confused.


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0