I'm trying to identify the engine in my 1941 Chevy 1/2 ton (see pics at
http://alignment2012.com/1941Chevy.html). The engine Casting Number is 839400, which this website (
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevytalk/GMhistory/1916-57cast.html) identifies as a 216 cu in engine installed in cars and trucks in 1941. However, this engine seems to require 10 mm AC Delco M-8 plugs, whereas my later model 1951 216 engine does not. I've also seen early 235 engines that use the 10 mm M-8's. The engine has "GM" cast in its side and the serial number begins with AK, which I haven't been able to find in any of the online serial number lists. I'm trying to buy the right points and condensor and plugs to get it running smoothly. This is the main issue --- it starts for a few seconds, then floods. I put my Rochester 1 bb on it, which I know works. Maybe it's the timing or vacuum advance? There is spark at plugs and the fuel pump definitely works. It will start up okay and run for ten seconds, then die and no go until I let it dry out.