| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,140 Posts1,056,466 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#74926 03/17/2007 12:05 AM | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 42 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 42 | Hi everybody! I did a little searching, but could not find any answers. I'm new to 4x4s, also, so maybe these would be easy questions.
I'm not looking to do anything crazy, light trail and offroad use, something like a NAPCO Taskforce truck with available parts.
First, what kind of front axle goes well under the Task Force trucks? I can cut off and re-weld spring perches, I'm looking for something that would hook up the stock '57 steering box/arm/linkage. I don't know if there's a year range of trucks that are good donors.
Second, I have heard of "divorced" transfer cases, I think I want to use one of those so I can keep my T5 if possible. Is this tranny going withstand that kind of punishment? What is a good divorced tranfer case? Donor vehicles?
Any answers, thoughts, or helpful tips would be appreciated. | | |
#74928 03/25/2007 8:52 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | T-5's aren't real tough. I think you're pushing one of them just hauling a full size pickup around.
If you add 1,000 pounds to make it a 4x4 that means more stress on the transmission and having the increased traction may add stress also.
My own thought would be that a T-5 is the wrong transmission for a full size four-wheel-drive that actually gets used. Can you stick the parts together and make it work? Sure. Will it last? Probably not.
I've never broken a transmission in a four-wheeler but have broken the transfer case twice. I no longer abuse them like I used to...
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#74929 03/27/2007 2:51 AM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | If you need a divorced t-case, I'd suggest you try Boyce Equipent. They have military surplus Dodge spec NP203 full time t-cases that are LH output and divorced type. Also, what OldSub said. Most hardcore off-road guys will not use anything like a T-5, in fact it's usually the first thing they trash. You'll want something more like an NV4500 or a SM465 w/ranger o/d for off road use.
Bill Burmeister | | |
| |
| |