The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
I need some help. The PO used a different thermostat housing from another engine, and it has a temperature capillary probe installed. Problem is, with that in place, I can't install a thermostat - it hits the probe.

I want to go back to the original housing, with no probe. I am told that the probe will mount on the left side of the engine, on top of the block, just aft of the carb.

I looked, and sure enough, there is a hex plug. I removed it, only to find that it is a bolt size (5/8 x 11) rather than an NPT size. Have not found any bushings to fit this hole. How do I get from 5/8 coarse threads to NPT sizes? Am I correct in the first place that this is where the tube goes? Seems a little strange.

Thanks.

Harry

Last edited by harryr; 05/21/2011 4:06 PM.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
On my '48, the probe goes into the block on the opposite side of the engine.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Tom & Harry,

I thought that the water temp probe/sender went into the top side of the head between the #0 and #10 head bolt, as Harry is most likely describing?

Harry,

Can you post a photo of the fitting on the end of your probe? Mine has a square "head" but I do not know the thread size.

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
Here it is. I went to the harware store and tried a nut on it. The threads are 5/8 x 11.

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/r...75b2f2841c4d4a52e&sid=8AZOGLNu0bMmOm

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
No, but thanks for the proper terminoloigy. I guess the bottom portion, which you show, is the :"thermostat housing." The truck did not come with a radiator (another story) so that hole is plugged and evenutually will have the heater outlet.

The PO mounted the probe in the upper housing (water outlet) - the piece that has the water outlet to the top of the radiator. I don't think that's the correct housing for the 216. In fact I know it is not, because it has 1 1/4 hose, where I think 1 1/8 is correct. I am using 1 1/4 shimmed at the top end.

SO, the thinking seems to be that it should go in the hole on top of the head, where I removed the 5/8 x 11 threaded plug. But how?

Thanks again, and I will see about posting in the engine forum.

Harry

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
Originally Posted by Tom R
On my '48, the probe goes into the block on the opposite side of the engine.

Brain cramp. I was referring to the oil gauge. Sorry.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 57
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 57
That is a NPT thread. The orig size is 3/8 NPT.

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
Denny, thanks, but please listen careful. I did not cast the block. The hole is the block is NOT "5/8-18 straight machine thread having a thread diameter of .625”" as you said. It is a 5/8 x 11 "coarse thread." Let's start from there, OK? I don't want to be an engineer. There were millions of these made, why would mine be different?


Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
Please see the pic I posted, you can see the coarse thread.

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
yours might be diffrent because the thermostat housing or engine or head or temp sender were from some different application, maybe a car? what Denny is saying is you have something different than the original arrangement, so it's time to put on your engineer suit, whether you want to or not, and figure out what can be changed to make what you have work the way you want

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
OK, I am about ready to give up. Obviously, I have not explained this very well. This has nothing to do with the thermostat housing or anything forward of the carb. Those were interesting (I thought) symptoms of what the PO did.

The real issue is that my block is drilled 5/8 x 11 coarse thread, NOT 5/8 x 18 fine thread. Just want to be clear.

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
Of all the 216 and 235 engines ive built and swapped out and heads iv switched, the temp bulb goes in the top of the head,as described above.
On some, i've had to use a special adapter,not just a reducer.
The adapter has a "shoulder" about halfway down, inside for the bulb flange to seat against.
I have the part right here in front of me if someone can post a pic.,,i'll send it to you.
Marty

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
Marty,
Will it thread into A 5/8 x 11 coarse thread, as my pic shows?

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
that's clear Harry - and if the sender that's attached to your gauge doesn't fit the hole where the manual shows it usually is, I would take that to mean yours is different because the head [or engine] is not original to the truck ..... also I'd expect that the original sender wouldn't have a long enough tube to reach the stat housing - PO changed the gauge?

I doubt you'll find any adapter to go from coarse to fine thread in the same diameter hole, and I doubt the factory would have had one there .... next step?

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 159
Have you ever heard of a coarse thread mounting hole?

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
Hi Harry,
If you PM me your e-mail address, i'll send pics of this adapter to you, with measurements. It looks to be 5/8 x 11
Hope it helps,
Marty
EDIT:: I just read your beginning post,, the capillary tube from a stock temp gauge wont reach the thermostat housing.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0