Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Gdads51, 68ironhead),
174
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,251 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 126 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 126 | You gotta be kiddin' me with this price!!? Anyone know of a source for these parts other than specialty auto shops?? Refrigeration parts or pluming supply maybe. I have no problem with some items we gotta have from these venders, but $25 dollars for 2 bucks worth of fittings is ridiculous. Oil Line Kit
Last edited by chris42pu; 05/05/2011 4:08 AM.
Chris Simmonds 1942 Chevy 3/4 ton | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I would think that two of the fittings are unique to the application. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | I made mine, I don't remember exactly what I used. I do remember it was very easy to find/make the pieces. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 126 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 126 | I made mine, I don't remember exactly what I used. I do remember it was very easy to find/make the pieces. That's kind of what I figured. I did find some double compression fittings online that look like they may work. I will look locally today and see what I can find.
Chris Simmonds 1942 Chevy 3/4 ton | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | The problem is that the line goes through the water jacket and there are fittings to seal the water jacket off. I wasn't aware that the tubing was copper. Was the original copper? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | I think the original line was steel. Copper would work better as it won't be as likely to rust through when exposed to coolant. The specialty fittings that seal the coolant aren't totally necessary, but by the time enough fittings are purchased to bypass them, that kit price starts looking pretty good. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Jerry, I have always wondered what you could use in place of those fittings for the block. What else could be used? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | I would use a fitting that goes from the male pipe thread to the female compression fitting, and drill it out where the tubing would slide all the way through. Once the tube goes all the way through the block, add another fitting that's modified the same way. Once the nut is tightened onto a compression ferrule on both sides, the coolant will be effectively blocked in the water jacket. Then route both ends of the line to the appropriate oil system connections. Jerry
Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 05/05/2011 8:00 PM.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | The line on my '38 is copper. I imagine a '42 would be the same.
Last edited by Tiny; 05/05/2011 9:28 PM.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I just went and checked and the line on my 38 is copper. I would estimate that it has been on there at least 40 years so I am guessing that it may be original. I wonder when it fails if coolant enters the oil. That would be pretty tough for the bearings. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I don't think that would be an issue since the part of the line through the water jacket never flexes, no chance of work hardening and cracking. '38 oil line.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 126 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 126 | The only issue I have after looking into this all day is the availability of 3/16 copper pipe and fittings. Not very common around my parts unless I am not thinking of an obvious supplier. For about 15 bucks I could adapt the oil distributor side and rocker side to 1/4 copper making parts and compression fitting common and easy to obtain anywhere. Someone on this forum has had to done this themselves with common materials. Hmmmmm.
Chris Simmonds 1942 Chevy 3/4 ton | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | copper pipe: Fastenal in Springfield or Eugene, OR call for availability fittings: NAPA Springfeld, OR Call with part numbers for fittings ( Eaton - Brass Products Master Catalog ) I agree with Hotrod Lincoln - the kit price looks reasonable to me (unless time/travel has no cost). $25 above or $29 plus shipping from Jim Carter | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | I wonder when it fails if coolant enters the oil The oil pressure would be higher than the pressure in the radiator with the engine running, resulting in oil in the radiator until it's shut down. Then it might be possible for coolant to get into the crankcase if the leak was big enough. The first symptom of a leak will probably be oily coolant. I don't see a problem with switching to 1/4" tubing, until the tube tries to connect to the rocker shaft connector piece- - - - -that thread is for 3/16" tube. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 1,847 | yes it is not the ideal situation | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 126 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 126 | I wonder when it fails if coolant enters the oil The oil pressure would be higher than the pressure in the radiator with the engine running, resulting in oil in the radiator until it's shut down. Then it might be possible for coolant to get into the crankcase if the leak was big enough. The first symptom of a leak will probably be oily coolant. I don't see a problem with swritching to 1/4" tubing, until the tube tries to connect to the rocker shaft connector piece- - - - -that thread is for 3/16" tube. Jerry Yes, and isn't the oil distribution connector also 3/16?
Chris Simmonds 1942 Chevy 3/4 ton | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | That end is fairly east to adapt, but the the oil connector in the rocker arm could be a real PITA. The easiest solution is to use 3/16" steel brake line tubing, if you can bend it to fit without collapsing the tube in one of the bends. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 126 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 126 | Okay so here is what I did. Found 3/16 fittings and tubing FINALLY at a local store called Pacific Rubber and Fasteners in Eugene. The only mod to the parts purchased is the pipe to compression 3/16 fittings. I had to drill out the hole in the fitting with a 3/16 drill bit so the copper pipe would go all the way through. All fittings now are common 3/16 compression and will be easy and cheap to fix if need be in the future. Total cost....8 dollars and change! [IMG]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/600/oilline.jpg[/IMG]
Chris Simmonds 1942 Chevy 3/4 ton | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | Good show! That's exactly the fix I was suggesting. The other style fitting that seals without a compression ferrule used to be pretty common when Ford used one in 1/4" tube diameter as a carburetor inlet and fuel pump outlet fitting. Since they quit doing that in the late 1940's, those fittings and the female-thread adapters they screw into have gotten harder to find. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | That would make a great tech tip. I couldn't quite figure out what you were modifying until I saw the photos.
Here is another point. The cost was stated as $8 versus $24. With the kit, if something goes wrong, it is another $24 but with this method it is another fitting or piece of tubing.
| | |
| |