| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 81 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 81 | I have a 62 1/2 Chevy truck with a 235 ci engine. Problem is the carb floods if I have driven about 15 to 20 miles. It dies after I have stopped the engine and try to start and take off again. After dying once it runs fine. I have adjusted the float according to specs using the card that comes with the rebuild kit. Even changed the needle back to a steel one frome the rubber tipped one. New fuel filter made no difference. Any suggestions?? Thanks for any ideas.
Green Machine
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Sounds like the gas in the carb is boiling. Do you have a plenomic (?spelling) spacer under the carb? Make sure the heat riser valve is opening. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 81 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 81 | Thanks for your reply Wrenchbender! Yes I do have the gasket/spacer under the carb. The heat riser valve is free also. My next step will be to wrap the gas line with insulation from the fuel pump to the carb. The gas line runs very close to the manifold on the drivers side of the engine as the truck has an add-- on ac system requiring rerouting of the gas line. The problem of flooding just began recently as I have been driving the truck for 30+ years. I did install a new coil but don't think it caused the problem.
Green Machine
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | You might have too much fuel pressure. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 76 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 76 | Many years ago I had an un-vented cap on my gas tank which was supposed to be vented. Boy was that a problem when the sun came out. flooded carb every time. just a thought!....curt | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 81 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 81 | Thanks for your thoughts Curt. I have a locking gas cap from LMC on the truck now. Will try the old cap again. My next step is to decrease the gas level in the carb. Sometimes the "official level set by gauges is too high. When the sun comes out here in Texas it gets very hot-and that is already happening here. I may have to buy another carb but hate to spend $200 for a rebuilt one with the same problem!
Green Machine
| | |
| |
| |