The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,378
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
SM420 4speed is difficult to shift into and out of 2nd gear. It does not 'pop' out of gear, however. Shifting into all other gears is easy enough. No grinding sound is noted. It takes a 'double throw' to get it into 2nd.

Thanks for your brain power!

1951 AD 3100. 216 with sm420 floor shift.


'51 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Oldcreek,

Are you indicating you are starting out in first gear, which is 'grandmother' and shifting to second gear, and this is the difficult one.

I don't think the normal, everyday drill would be to start in 1st gear...this is usually reserved for climbing trees.

As I recall, this shift from granny to 2nd is stiffer than most because of the drastic ratio change involved.

If this is not the case, then the second gear synchro would be the obvious next choice.

Have you verified that the transmission is full of the proper lube.

I was absent the day they taught "SM-420's" so I might be all wet.

Stuart

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Oldcreek,

My incessant need for info turned up something that might be of interest. I found it on the wonderful Novak Transmission site...it is a quote!

"About SM420 Synchros:
The SM420 has a 1st-2nd gear synchro ring that is integrated into the 1st gear hub. As such, this ring does not come with our standard rebuild kit as does the 2nd-3rd & 3rd-4th rings. However, unless the transmission has seen a great deal of shifting from the compound 1st to 2nd, this ring should not see excessive wear".

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
If the motor is over wound in second gear and a quick shift is tried the tranny tends to hang in gear till things slow down to normal speeds. You could have a slight clutch drag that would make it hard to shift out of the lower gears.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
OldCreek, I had my SM420 rebuilt and I was having the same problem, hard to get in and out of 2nd (this was starting off in 2nd). After about three hundred miles it loosened up and is now just fine.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 11
Thanks for the replies.

Shifting into (and out of) 2nd is difficult at ANY time. Starting off in second from neutral, downshifting to second, upshifting from 1st. Hot/cold... no matter.

Thanks again. Obviously, I'm trying to get a heads up before I decide to get into the tranny. I don't know if the tranny has ever been rebuilt... I doubt it.


'51 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
OldCreek,

It wouldn't take much to pull the transmission cover and remove the shift tower. Maybe that particular rail or fork has been tweeked somehow.


Stuart


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0