The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, TUTS 59, dt235sd, 1 invisible), 146 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#670437 08/14/2010 9:51 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
I have read a lot of posts on renovating a license plate and all that I have read, seem to want to paint the whole face with the color of the letters/numbers first, and then cover it all with the background color and using various methods, remove the background color from the tops of the letters/numbers to let the proper color show through.
Has any one used a brayer (roller) to apply the letter/number color over the background color? Newly issued plates look like this is how the factory (prison) does it.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
I played with the rollers for a while and then used a brush to paint the numbers. I saw a film years ago where they were running them through a thing that looked like an old wringer washer roller. I couldn't control the amount of paint on the roller well enough. The brush worked good enough for me.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
I may just practice with a "used current" plate from the junk yard. Unless someone tells me that they had success and how, I will just experiment and report back if I am successful.
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
Order you some Mack pinstriping brushes and some one shot paint. Just sit down and play with it. Not hard, very rewarding. I have painted 3 sets now. Never thought that I could do a single one.

Tried the method of painting the entire plate the color of the numbers with epoxy paint, then overcoating with the background color with a laquer based paint, then wiping the background color from the numbers. You know what I ended up with? A mess!


Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 239
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 239

I painted mine with a brush like the others. I painted the entire plate the background color, then the numbers and letters afterward. The one trick that is worth passing along is I used a short tipped, firm artist brush to paint the lettering. I don't know the name or type, but the tip is bullet shaped and the bristles are short and very firm (they don't flex). It made it very easy to keep a sharp edge.

Good Luck.


When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
-Unknown-
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 289
I painted mine the way you first described. I first sprayed on the raised letter/number white color, followed by the black background color after allowing the white to dry thoroughly. I then wet sanded with 600 grit wet and dry and polished with rubbing compound and wax. If you can add a hardener to the raised portion and apply several coats you will lessen the chance of sand through and need for touch-up. Here is a picture of before and here is after .

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
If’n your daughter or wife have a subscription to Netflix, then download Cry Baby with Johnny Depp. 54.50 minutes into the movie shows the boys in prison making license plates. Shows lot of equipment, I think I even see one of those roller painters in the back ground. Can’t link ya to it because you have to have an account and log in.
Lots of old cars in the movie and one scene with the pink Kaiser Manhattan has an Chevy AD in the back ground.

DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 03/29/2011 3:14 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Be careful of painting the plates before you register the truck. I have heard, in Texas they frown on the plates not being original.
I think I'll try to register before painting mine.


~Jim
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 90
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 90
On my old Triumph ( motorcycle ) I spayed them with an air brush with model enamel (the little tins) thined with white spirt then when dry put them in the oven for an hour on about 180/400 after sending the wife out ( very important )As it gets a bit of a smell on . Turn the oven off let them cool mine came out like mirrors Very high gloss and very chip resistant. Home Stove Enameling after that success I did nearly all my cycle parts that way . The advantage of using the little modeling paints is they have virtually any colour you could want and you can get just enough too do what you need.


1954 3600 With 1950's Powers of St Louis Utility Bed.

My truck

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0