The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (WICruiser), 131 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#733576 03/27/2011 5:10 AM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 47
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 47
New to the site just days ago and can't believe how helpful everyone has been. I am new to the first series trucks and have many questions. I am trying to solve as many as possible by myself, but one eludes me. When installing a new trans cover/floor panel I noticed a small square headed plug on what I believe is the forward top of the torque tube, just behind where it connects to the 4 speed trans. This plug is opposite the speedo cable connection. I removed it and looked inside, and saw no fluids. I was wondering if one of you kind folks could please help me understand what this plug is for? Maybe it's a dumb question, but I don't want to screw things up by not asking. Thanks a million to whomever can assist me in this Mystery. Mannymoejack

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Welcome manny, what year truck do you have?

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
Manny

Take a picture to confirm, but I think you are talking about the plug that allows you to lubricate the universal joint. There needs to be fluid in there, (90W gear oil) to help extend the life of the u-joint. This spot is often missed and cause good u-joints to go bad.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 47
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 47
1953, 3/4 ton, long box, 216, 4 speed on the floor. Thanks for the help.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 47
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 47
Thanks, It would have been a major blunder if I missed doing so.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I think that hole, as SWEET states, is for filling the u-joint enclosure, but lubricant also moves between the transmission and that enclosure. By adding lubricant via that hole (after opening/closing the u-joint enclosure), you ensure that the fluid level in the whole assembly (transmission and u-joint enclosure) does get too low (from fluid moving from the transmission to the u-joint enclosure - seeking "a level").

If I am wrong, we'll hear about it.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 47
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 47
Thank you very much for the explanation. I originally purchased the shop service and repair manual, expecting this type of info to be there. I realize now, that the owners manual really is a better place to find all the regular service info and specs. Funny, the new car/truck owner's manual don't have near the info of these old Chevy manuals. They really don't build em like they used to.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 190
W
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 190
I know on my 37 it states that the battery ground cable bolt hole is where I fill my torque tube bell that encloses the u joint. I find the manual for my year in pretty vague and purchased a Audels automobile guide copy right 38 to 47. Audels pub., awesome manuals back in the day. It covers much more stuff in detail, and many makes and models. Kind of the bible for anyone who worked on their own stuff or was a garage mechanic in the day. It even covers diesel motors, jeeps and tractors. It is black, looks like a bible and has 1607 pages of information to dive in to.


1937 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Gallery
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
A Motors Truck Repair Manual is mighty handy too. I've been using Motor's Manuals for nearly 50 years but have never heard of the Audels manuals. I'm going to check it out though. I just found one for a reasonable price on the auction site and bought it. Thanks for the tip, wasat.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Step 10 (48-52, at least).

Universal Joint [lubrication] 1938 (as described above for 1937) - NOTE: "This initial lubrication is necessary to take care of the universal joint until normal lubrication takes place from the transmission."


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0