| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
85
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,680 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#73143 02/13/2007 1:27 AM | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 25 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 25 | This question is premature as I have yet to check the pick-up screen. I will also replace oil pump. I have about 30PSI at idle.
I bought a used 250 motor. It does not smoke at all. It has tapping so I took the valve cover off. No oil coming up the pushrods. It is cold here but I am guessing that 5 minutes of idle is enough time to allow oil to rockers.
My buddy suggests replacing the lifters as the oil holes are probably gunked up. Only costs about $60 bucks but still, I believe I should be able to run a small wire though each lifter to clean the oil passages. Will new lifters add any "PEP" to the motor as he says? Besides oil pump, screen, lifters, and clearing the pushrods, is there anything else to check. There is alot of "crud" in rocker area. This will be yet another question I am going to post. Thanks for reading and any advise. | | |
#73144 02/13/2007 1:58 AM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Freds,
30 psi at an idle is pretty darn good. Why can't you save your $$$ by soaking the lifers in Chemtool or something to clean them out. Fill them up the same way with oil and reinstall in the same holes.
Stuart | | |
#73145 02/13/2007 2:00 PM | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 483 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 483 | Is it oiled thru the lifters or a copper line thru side plate? | | |
#73146 02/14/2007 1:41 AM | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 25 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 25 | It is oiled through the lifters and up the pushrods. | | |
#73147 02/14/2007 4:47 AM | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 483 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 483 | Lifters could be taken apart and cleaned. Instead of running motor I would pull distrib and turn pump with a drill. | | |
#73148 02/14/2007 2:21 PM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | I'll assume you have a visual on the pushrods so I would agree with "Beaver 53". You can pre-load the lifters with oil by placing in oil bath and "stroking" them although some cam manufactures don't recommend that.
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | |
| |
| |