The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (51sub), 128 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
I have a 235 in a 55 truck. When the engine is running at idle it will make a popping noise, not a steady popping noise but a pooping noise every few seconds or so. Sounds like the engine is missing a step or something. I figured it may be a valve trying to stick?? The engine sat up for about 6 years or so. I have put a new carb, fuel pump, fuel lines, and cleaned the fuel tank. It also has a new coil, dist cap, rotor button, plugs, and plug wires. It only makes the popping noise at idle and it sounds like it is comming out of the exhaust pipe. When I rev the engine up it does not make the popping noise. What other things can cause this to happen??. Thanks for any help on this.

Last edited by tracern1; 03/10/2011 3:40 AM.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
Might pull the valve cover and look for a bent push rod. Could be a valve stuck, bending the push rod.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
great thanks for the help. I was also thinking that the timing may be a little off so I will check that out today.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
wasn't the timming, I will go ahead and pull the valvr cover and check it out

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
if you have a vacuum gage plug it into the wiper connection on the intake and start the engine. post your findings.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
This is what a bent push rod sounds like.

....video.click...

The noise continues upon acceleration, not just at idel.

after replacing bent push rod
...video.click...
Good Luck

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
Mine did this same thing for the longest time. I replaced the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets and new exhaust (Old was rusted out). it helped a lot. But what helped the most was running 89 to 91 octain. The 87 was making it pop like crazy at idle. But if I gave it any gas the popping was gone. Try this and see if it helps. I rebuilt the carb, new fuel tank and pump, set the valves a 1000 times and this was all that really helped.


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 20
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 20
A compression test is probably in order. I would think that would show a burnt valve. Is it possible an exhaust valve is simply set too tight?

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I think I have figured out the problem. The wire that goes into the distribitor is loose on the inside and shorting out at the points. I had the cap off yesterday and I had forgotten to remove the battery cable. I was checking the connections to the coil and noticed that the wire in the distribitor was arcing when I shook the wire. I had changed everything out but one thing, the points. So I put the cap back on cranked the truck up and fiddled with the wire and the popping went away. But I'am sure it will act up again so I'am going to put one of those Pertronix electronic igintions in it. I ordered one the other day. The part number was 1168 for 54 to 62 6 cylinder trucks. I have heard some really good things about them so hopefully I will get the points problem took care of. Other then that the engine runs real good, cranks up no problem. And thank you very much Dad550 for the videos on how a bent push rod sounds. That really helped a bunch to rule out a bent push rod. The popping sounds more like the engine is out of time a little. But it does not back fire through the carb. There is no rythum to the pop noise. The engine will run and make a sporatic light pop noise through the exhaust. And thank you 51 Ashton for the tip. But I have already plugged the vaccum at the exhaust manifold. I changed over to electric wipers instaed of the vaccum ones.

Last edited by tracern1; 03/13/2011 2:13 AM.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0