The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (DHedrick, WarEagle1), 103 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,375
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Anyone out there have photos of examples of modern wheels modified w/ hubcap clips like these to attach the dog dish hubcaps for their AD pickup? I'm investigating modern wheel options but would like to keep the look and dimensions of the original wheel/tire setup intact to whatever degree possible. Any ideas will be appreciated.



Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think for the 1/2 Ton, you can buy new wheels that will take hubcaps. It may be that you have to use the new hubcaps too, I am not sure.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 581
Here's a link to Smokey Culver's tech article on that subject -

Smokey's hub cap tech


Larry Kephart
1937 Chevy Utility Express (Deerslayer)
1955 1st 3100 Chevy (BillyBob)
2017 Cadillac ATS-V (Elvira)
Boca Raton, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/1998/billybob.htm
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Did mine a little differently, I tried to keep the clips in their original position on the wheel spoke.
This shows an original 1950, 3600 split rim clip with a vendors repro clip next to it. As you can see they are to short to grasp the hubcaps if place in the original position on the hump between the holes. So I used a spacer to get the correct height:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/117149892
These were the replacement ‘80 Chevy ¾ ton tubeless rims I picked up from the scrap yard:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/117149816/large
This shows the original 3600 hubcap on a late model (’80, 3/4t) rim:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/117147131/original
This shows the clip in the original location with the spacer under the clip:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/117147209/large
A blurry but better view of the spacer and location:
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/117149791/large

Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL



Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Denny - that's exactly what I'm looking for! Great example, thank you!
Truckernix - I've seen the repro wheels, they're a bit pricey for me...
Laroke - thanks for the link to the Tech Tip; I'm familiar with it, so now I'm most interested in seeing other examples of this type of modification in action.
Cheers,
Nick



Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Any other examples out there in photographs?



Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 378
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 378
If you need to do something on your truck you can just about bet that someone on "Stovebolt" has already done it or knows how to do it. What a great bunch of guy and gals. You can't even buy magazines that compare to this site. I really enjoy it.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton ~ Red Truck

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Steel 1/2" dia round stock, 3/8" tall, drill with a #9 clearance drill for a #10-32 screw to attach them. I used a Whitney Jr. hole punch to punch the holes in the tempered steel clips aquired from one of the vendors.
This was for the 3600 hub caps, if you have a 3100 they may be different.
DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/26/2011 2:59 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 27
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 27
Denny,
Sounds like 3/8" is the height that worked for you. And hopefully it'll get me close. But you had to put holes in the clips you got from vendors? I had bought a few from Jim Carter Truck Parts to try and they are shorter. The hub caps that I'm using are 55-56 Chevy 3600. Problem now is I need 16-20 of them for 4 wheels. Maybe I could find something like steel spacers from Granger or Mcmaster-carr type supply house?

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 27
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 27
Denny,
I can't open your highlighted links you had sent out. They say forbidden when I clicked on them.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
Originally Posted by tesa
Denny,
I can't open your highlighted links you had sent out. They say forbidden when I clicked on them.

Denny's photos are 15 years old and probably aren't supported any longer.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,956
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,956
tesa - Check out the links in my post to Denny's album. As mentioned in my reply to your Truck Parts Wanted ad, most of his links in this old thread don't work correctly. But the ones in my post do work and you should be able to see them. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0