Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,120 Posts1,056,325 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 Geezer | | Geezer Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 | If so, how does it run?? What kind of mileage does it get?? Do you think it is enough engine for an around town driver??
I got a 305 & T350 in a trade for some stuff and am thinking about using the engine along with a 700R4 that I have in my 1957 3100.
Thanks, all input is appreciated.
Thirdcoast
1966 C20 LWB, 327 4 Bbl., 4 Speed
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 576 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 576 | 1949 Chevrolet 3100 "When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 45 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 45 | I was wanting to run a 305 in my '49 but could'nt find one cheap , plus I already had a 350 that just needed freshening up so I am running the 350 . The factory put 305 with 700r4's together in fullsize trucks and even vans . | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 293 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 293 | Go for it, it is way enough engine for around town. I had an '88 Caprice wagon with this set-up and it was really nice, even loaded on the highway. You will not burn the tires though, ever! Even in the rain!
'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 60 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 60 | As far as burning the tires,according to the gear ratio in the rearend,you think? Keep on Trucking! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 319 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 319 | I saw a (built) 305 in a mud truck...that thing would scream. If a little 6 will push it around, that 305 will. 700R4 is a good choice, also. Performance and fuel mileage will depend on rear end ratio, carburation, tire size, etc.
cm If you can't fix it with a hammer and screwdriver, you need a bigger hammer.1965 Chevy C10 | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | Should be a good setup.I am running a 350 with a 700R4 and it performes very nice.Also using the stock 3:90 rear,and the OD makes all the difference,economy wise. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 Geezer | | Geezer Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 33 | Sorry, did not cover the rear end.. I am leaving the stock 3.90 rear gear and am going to run 235-75X15 tires that have an overall height of 28.8".
This will give me 2230 RPM @ 70 MPH..
I will probably build a 350 later, but I have this 305 & it was basically free...
Thanks,
TC
1966 C20 LWB, 327 4 Bbl., 4 Speed
| | |
| |