The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (KEVINSKI, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 71 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,567
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#715564 01/27/2011 2:20 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
Ever since I installed the 216 valve cover on the 235 in my 37 I have noticed increased valve train noise coming through the firewall,outside under the hood it does not seen that bad but is more noticable inside the cab. I have carpet glued to the firewall and suspect its not enough,could the vent holes on top of the 216 valve cover let more noise out then the 235 cover that had no holes.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Jeff, I ran a Fenton valve cover on my 261 with breathing holes in it and never noticed any more noise, but it does seem quiter with the Sharp I am running now. The heavier aluminum valve cover does deaden the noise some.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
Jeff,do you have a copper line on your oil gauge from the engine???.This will carry the valve noise.Plastic line will solve the noise.Just a idea.yep that,s a fine looking ride

Last edited by dan-pa; 01/27/2011 9:33 AM.

dan-pa
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I went from a Offy aluminum valve cover to the 216 and thats when I noticed more noise and I am still using the original oil pressure line what ever it is,I was going to adjust the valves last night but could never get the motor as warm as I wanted so I will do it when it warms up some. I never driven it on the street when it had the 216 so I am not familar with what noises are normal for these old trucks,I am going to see if a firewall insulation pad is made for a 37 and install one when I redo the interior.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
General Motors did a sneaky trick on my 37 Buick concerning valve noise; guess they didn't want a snooty Buick to be as noisy as the common Chevy. They draped a 1/2" or maybe thicker piece of felt over the rocker assembly which muffled it tremendously. With it in place it sounds like it has hydraulic lifters and without it clatters away with two more cylinders to rattle than a Chevy. Some of my machines have felt in the oil cups and very early cars used oil soaked felt to lube some components so I guess it was a common practice.


Evan
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
I do remember reading about something that was installed on top of the rocker arms to reduce noise but never seen what it was.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0