| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,140 Posts1,056,466 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 493 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 493 | I cleaned the 1954 235 that came in my 52. That means I pulled the pan, valve cover, side cover and timing cover. I took the oil pump apart and cleaned it and re-primed it. I pulled three random rod bearing caps and used plasti gauge and they were all at .002. Then I re-installed the bearings and put the covers back on and ran a compression check. It has 145 to 148 on all 6 cylinders cold and dry. The question is should I pull the head and clean it up or put it back together and just be grateful that it seems to be a decent rebuild. It was rebuilt in 1979 and has been running a few times a month up until I bought it. The pistons are .60 over and the rods .30 with .20 mains. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2089904830103315458aVWhqb
Last edited by neilroy; 01/09/2011 5:01 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy neilroy, if it were mine, I would put it back together and use it. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Same here. Great compression. Nothing to look at under the head. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 493 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 493 | That is what I was leaning toward, I am afraid I might do more harm than good. It is nice to get lucky every now and then. | | |
| |
| |