| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,487 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 64 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 64 | The same truck as with no spark at the plugs in the previous post. Took off the brake drums to work over the brakes. Fronts were as I thought, rears appear to be the same as on my '41 3/4 ton with the bottom center pivot and the banjo fitting on the wheel cylinder with the line coming in straight. Front has the brake line coming in at an angle. Isn't the rear supposed to be that way also? My guess is that someone over the years swapped out the whole rear axle assembly for an older one? What year did they change to the new style brakes? Just wondering....
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
1941 AL 3/4 ton 125-1/4 WB, bought by my Great Uncle Matt in 1942. Still in the family.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | If you are asking when they changed from "Huck" brakes to "Bendix" brakes I believe that was in the 52-53 model years. Your 51 should have been born with huck brakes.
There are many options for upgrading, such as disc brakes on the stock axle. Just depends what you want. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 64 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 64 | So I take it that my '41 has "Huck" Brakes and the '51 has had the front changed to "Bendix"??? And the Huck's on the rear are correct for '51?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
1941 AL 3/4 ton 125-1/4 WB, bought by my Great Uncle Matt in 1942. Still in the family.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 200 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 200 | Ron, I have a '51 and the rear are Bendix. I've helped with a friend's '50 and they were Hucks. I believe the first year for Bendix was 1951.
Mark
1951 Chevy 3100 Some days you get the bear. Some days the bear gets you.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | Ron, I have a '51 and the rear are Bendix. I've helped with a friend's '50 and they were Hucks. I believe the first year for Bendix was 1951.
Mark That's correct for 1/2 ton. Medium Duty trucks (3/4 and 1 ton) used Huck brakes until 1952 and went to Bendix in 1953. | | |
| |
| |