The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (51sub), 128 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7028 05/16/2002 5:16 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 10
2
Member
Member
2 Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 10
I have a 12 bolt differential with 3:73 gears. I have been considering swaping to 3:08 gears. The problem I am having is finding the correct ring and pinion for my application. I know there are several different sizes of carriers. Do I need to get a different size carrier that will accept the 3:08 gears.

#7029 05/16/2002 6:06 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 11
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 11
I recently went through my 12-bolt 3.73 on my 63 and found the gears were mounted on a 4-series carrier. For someone like yourself that wants a higher gear ratio like 3:08, you will most likely be faced with a carrier change. If that is the case, you will have the opportunity to decide on changing over to posi if you don't currently have it. I am not a big locker fan, I have had good results with an Eaton posi unit on several vehicles.

These people were great to deal with- http://www.ring-pinion.com/
1-800-292-1031
They can supply you with any parts you need and are reasonably priced.


63 K10 Fleet 454
#7030 05/17/2002 12:25 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 146
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 146
When I was looking into this I was told that there were two carriers made one for 3.73 and up and one for 4.11 and down. So you are most likely OK.


if it dosen't need fixed, break it
#7031 05/17/2002 9:30 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
If you have a 12 bolt truck axle, GM parts book lists the 3.40-2.76 using the same carrier.The lower gear sets use another carrier.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0