The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#702504 12/11/2010 4:15 AM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 37
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 37
Hello and welcome! Being 16, I'm a newbie to custom work. Power steering brackets are the extent of my custom knowledge. The truck getting the treatment is a 1961 C20 with what I understand to be the 4.57 rear end. Before I get into it I need to know what exact rear end I'll need. I want to keep the 8 lug configuration and end up with a ratio between 3 and 3.5. From this website (http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/237044/) and a few others it looks like I will be looking for a diesel 73-87 3/4 or 1 ton 14 bolt rear end, but (i think) even then I would have 1.5 inches more axle length on each side. Is there a frame size difference between years I should know about? Posts around here suggest there is a difference in size between 1960-1962 and 1963-1972 trucks. I know there are several other issues involved.. I feel I'm asking for a lot here, but I need your help! Any options, suggestions, information, and bumps are very appreciated. Thanks! -- Hunter

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 37
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 37
LMC truck makes ring and pinion sets non-DANA differentials, but only for 1965-1966, why would this not work in a '61?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The easiest option would be to get a 3rd member from a '68-'72 C20, usually with a 350 and automatic, which has the 4.10 gear. That would be a direct bolt in. Pretty much any other rear would require modification to work with the trailing arm/coil spring rear suspension in the '61. If you were to use a later rear, it would not necessarily have to come from a deisel truck, gas engine trucks use the same rear. For something narower, you might look at vans instead of pickups. 3.73 is a common gear on the later trucks, you might be able to get a 3.55 gear if you look at Dodge Dana 60s.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by Locomah
LMC truck makes ring and pinion sets non-DANA differentials, but only for 1965-1966, why would this not work in a '61?
I took a look at them, they are for the '63 and later 12 bolt 1/2 ton rear, completely different animal than what you have.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 37
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 37
The 4.10 bolt in sounds best if it's a bolt in. My goal is interstate speeds without swapping the tranny or the engine. I'll look into vans and the dodge rear ends.. thanks a ton!

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 37
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 37
the 4.1 ratio is too low for interstate, its only 8mph better, a gear vendor transission would give me the same final drive as a 3.55.... but it's a hefty 3 grand


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0