The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (GRNHydra, 1955 1 Series, NAPCOStormTrpr, joe apple, Charles in CA, klhansen, DBJ71SuperCustom, dt235sd, 1 invisible), 101 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#701235 12/06/2010 7:18 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 58
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 58
Hello. I received an old Delco radio and control head recently, and need a little help with an ID for it! I'll list a few links for pics of the unit and control head. I have found no ID number, to help ID it, and I have no idea what it is! It shoild be a late 30's Chevy radio.
Here's the link:
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww212/estesjeffrey/hobby005.jpg
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww212/estesjeffrey/hobby006.jpg
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww212/estesjeffrey/hobby007.jpg

Thanks for any help with an ID on this radio. I need to try and find out what it is to get more info on it. Looks like I'll need a speaker too...eventually.
Thanks,

Jeff

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
not sure what it came from but not advance design.seems like I've seen round faced ones late thirtys. Square might also been available as well. The ones of the thirtys I saw were under dash units, May have been after market.That one looks to be mounted thru a hole in the dash.

Last edited by kb3csw; 12/06/2010 1:52 PM.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I would think the radio control head was made to fit in a dash opening. If the chassis has a socket for a vibrator, that will help with the year information. Sometime, I am guessing in the mid thirties, they came out with the vibrator. Before that they used something that was like a motor generator set. Usually on these old radios, you can replace the speaker with a modern day permanent magnet unit. This radio would have used an electro-dynamic speaker. I just finished rebuilding my 1938 Chev radio and it works just fine with a modern speaker.

Ray Holland over on the VCCA site may be able to shed some light on your radio. I can get his Email address if you would like.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I just looked through some of my literature and it seems that Chevrolet brought out a radio with a vibrator power supply in 1933/34. I believe that Delco made the radios for Chevrolet.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Jeff: Try posting this in the Electrical Forum, there is a Radio Bench sub-forum there. You might get additional lookers.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
Delco name in the 40's and 30's, that this radio came from, was used on the "after market" line.The radios called OME's where listed under the make of car or UNITED MOTOR SERVICE the first GM radios where made by Crosley .in the late 30's GM bought out Crosley's auto radio factory ,then Crosley started making Automobiles Motorola and Zenith supplied them with radios!
Now I'll tell you that although GM had thier own radio factory building radio in the 1940's, they still bought radios from Colonial Radio, Buffalo NY, The "UNIVERSAL" that many have in their 40-46 trucks is one.
This head control looks like it would fit a 37 Buick dash,BILL

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 58
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 58
Thanks for the info guys! Great stuff, as always. I will follow up on the leads.

Jeff


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0