The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (51sub), 128 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 92
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 92
About 2-3 years ago, I finished my truck and had the 6v generator rebuilt. It was fine but today I disconnected the battery and the truck died. I started it again and checked the voltage on both wires coming from the generator and there was no voltage. What should I do?

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
give the regulator a smack, points might be stuck

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
Find the "Field" turminal on the generator ground it with a jumper then meassure the "Armature" turminal back to ground on the generator should be about 8 volts engine running

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 92
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 92
Could my problem be a faulty voltage regulator?

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
I have the same problem today, when I took the postive cable off the battery the truck died. I tested the generator for voltage and it was dead. I removed the generator for a closer look. I looked into the back of the generator to inspect the brushes and found a wire going to one of the studs had broken loose. I went ahead and took the generator apart it was very easy. I found the generator had rust on the armature also. I'am going to go ahead and do a alternator conversion and do away with the generator. I figure for waht it will cost to have the generator rebuilt or even buying a rebuilt generator. I will come out spending just as much converting to a 12 volt alternator system.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 92
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 92
Bill,

I checked the generator today like you said by grounding the field and checking the voltage on the armature. It still read 0v. Should I remove the generator and look inside it? What am I looking for? Should I adjust the brushes?

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
I would remove the generator and take it apart and check the internals for any wear or damage. Did you remove the wires from the generator before checking? If you grounded the field terminal then checked the armature termainla by taking one lead of your meter and grounding it to your generator housing and touching the other to the armature terminal like Bill said and your meter showed no reading then it is a sure bet your generator is bad.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0