The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,182
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 30
C
ceg
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 30
I am new to this, have a 1950 Chevy 3100 (family truck since new) I am disassembling and have reached the front fenders. I have removed all the bolts, but it appears the radiator must come out to let the fender slide forward and off. Is this right, or did I miss something? If there is a previous discussion, forgive me.

Thanks


Restoring 1950, 5 window, 1/2 ton, in family since new. Never done one before.
ceg #699413 11/30/2010 12:47 AM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 55
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 55
If you want to take the entire front end off at one time, then yes, the radiator and radiator support will need to come off. Then grab a friend, each of you grab a fender, lift, and put it where you want it.

If you want to take the fenders off only, you'll need to get in under each of them and remove the 2 bolts (2 on each fender that is) that anchor the fender braces to the radiator support. Then, remove the 1 bolt (1 on each side) that hold the very front of the fender to the grill support and inner fender.

After these are off, you should be able to simply remove the fenders individually.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 30
C
ceg
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 30
Thanks for the reply, I took the entire brace off, including the two bolts attached to the radiator brace and the grille was off already. The fender seems "stuck" under a flange (along with the inner fender) that has two bolts in it attached to the radiator which I removed.(Wish I had pics). Since the radiator has to come off anyway, I just might fiddle with it until I see the light.

Do the fenders pull straight off to the side, or do they have to go forward?

Thanks again


Restoring 1950, 5 window, 1/2 ton, in family since new. Never done one before.
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 55
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 55
ceg,

I got it. You need to loosen the bolts holding the radiator support to your frame. Both the inner and outer fender are "wedged" up under the radiator support. Once you loosen these bolts (should be two of 'em), you should be able to manipulate the fenders off the truck.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 30
C
ceg
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 30
Thanks, that is exactly right, both sides of the radiator brace have to be loosened and the bottom ones as well, then there is just enough room to pull the fender straight about 3 inched then slip the fender edge out from under the support. Now all the sheet metal is off - looks bare.

Thanks again


Restoring 1950, 5 window, 1/2 ton, in family since new. Never done one before.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Good luck lining it all back up. Suggestion to anyone else contemplating this: pull it all off as an assembly.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
9
New Guy
New Guy
9 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
yeah pulling it off together is the easiest way. But at some point depending on your application, they will need separated. Don't be afraid. I did the s-10 swap and got them back on and lined up pretty good, hood closes and all. I even had to cut my inner fenders to fit with my application. As for putting it back on the original frame. That I have yet to discover, eventually I will, but I couldn't imagine it being harder than doing the s-10 swap.

Good luck, what all are you trying to do? You might find it difficult to get the cab off of your steering column if you need to do that. I pulled mine up and over the column (with the steering wheel off) I couldn't figure out how to get the steering box apart. Figured it out after I had the cab off. geeesh. anyway keep digging. It is fun.


51' 3100 s10swap, 350, 5 speed, patina
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=382481

49' GMC 3100 future project

55.1' chevy future project

54' 6400 chevy dump truck all original

63' c-10 future project
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 30
C
ceg
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 30
Cletis - Not sure how to pull it all off as an assembly. Do you mean inner and outer fenders together? I keep thinking I will do the minimum to get on with it, but I can see the need to fully disassemble, clean and paint then rebuild. I am apprehensive as you say about lining it all back up and keeping the assembly order straight.


Restoring 1950, 5 window, 1/2 ton, in family since new. Never done one before.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I mean inner, outer, radiator support, grille and all as one piece. Just a few bolts and 2 people can lift the whole thing off and out of the way.

Of course, if you are dis-assembling it for paint this won't work but if you are changing an engine that is the way to go.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 21
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 21
Boy what a pain. I just put mine back together last week (inner and outer) on both sides. Much harder to line everything up than I thought it would be so be sure to have an extra set of hands to help. The new grill assembly is next but I'll have to do some fender adjusting now that the hood doesn't latch unless you really push down hard. I replaced the inner to outer fender seals which may have moved then in slightly on each side. I think that will be the project this weekend.


"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was". Toby Keith
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 30
C
ceg
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 30
Thanks for all the help guys. I never thought about a wholesale removal of inner/outer fenders and radiator support. It would have been a lot easier to take apart as one unit on the ground.

Looking forward to a day I struggle to put it back together!


Restoring 1950, 5 window, 1/2 ton, in family since new. Never done one before.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I know one guy that enlisted a body shop employee who had spent a lot of years putting sheetmetal back where it came from. He said he paid him a little money and the guy made a tough job easy. I wish I had thought of that.


~Jim
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 55
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 55
But...just think of all the fun it will be putting it back together. I've been "dry-fitting" everything over the past couple of months...inner to outer fenders, core support, upper & lower baffles, front splash pan, running boards/braces/splash pans, rear fenders, hood...interior window garnishes, outer door window stainless (yada, yada, yada). I haven't had one of these apart since I owned my first one back in the late 70's. It's been a blast trying to figure the puzzle out (since the assembly manual only shows you so much!)


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0