The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (68ironhead, Otto Skorzeny, Jerry 53), 72 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,489
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
I was working on my rocker arms, and on a whim checked out the hydraulic lifters in my 235(casting code 3769716, 58-62). They were all concave on the bottom, some were only a little, but some were fairly deep. From what I gather, that means I need a new camshaft + new lifters.

I would prefer hydraulic lifters, as I want the engine to be as quiet as possible. Any recommendations for good camshafts and lifters that won't break the bank? I have seen some reground ones for sale for pretty cheap, are they a good idea or am I just asking for trouble?

Any comments or suggestions please reply, I'm in uncharted territory dealing with a camshaft, so any advice would be great!

Thanks smile

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
You'll need a new camshaft,lifters,and a new set of timming gears,You can get it all from a FLAPS ,the only thing is You'll have to take the new cam somwhere that can press on the new timming gear to Your new cam ,some old FLAPS do that work still or You might have to take it to a engine rebuilders and have it done ,unless You have the press and can do it Yourself.It's all stock stuff .

Do a search and compare prices
Pete

Last edited by Pete52; 11/26/2010 2:09 PM.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
I have a ’53 power glide (full pressure) engine with hydraulics. When I tore it down for a complete rebuild I found the lifters dished and badly pitted. A local engine rebuilder was able to regrind the cam to its original specs. I bought a fiber cam gear at a local flaps and an outfit in Minnesota resurfaced the lifter bottoms. Contact Dave at Dave [[email protected]]

I have 2000 miles on the rebuilt engine so far


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0