The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (WarEagle1, Jon G, Gray_Ghost), 98 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,184
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#694091 11/12/2010 12:00 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
M
MLT
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
Hi everyone, please forgive my ignorant post... Trying to get some ancient oil leaks under control.

After pulling the valve cover gasket today I was able to see a lot of oil coming from a plate that surrounds the sparkplugs etc. It has several "flat head" screws that hold it in place. Would I be correct in assuming this is the pushrod plate? See Picture I browsed the shop manual and a few parts houses but didn't see any mention of this plate. Any idea where to get one and the gasket if this is what I need?

Thanks a lot for helping the FNG! thumbs_up

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
called a side cover, less commonly a pushrod cover - the cover itself would likely have to be found used, but gasket available, maybe even at your local parts store

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The pushrod cover gasket is available from any parts store or chev. specialty parts store. You shouldn.t need a new cover but if you do it will have to be a used one.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
M
MLT
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
Ah, excellent. The cover looks okay, but I won't know until I get it off and get the goop off of it. Thanks for the fast reply, I'll put this on the shopping list.

Regards,

Lee

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I would like to metion that those flathead screws that you are talking about gave rise to the name "Stovebolt Engine" in 1929!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
mlt,

when it comes time to install the cover, i used a technique that made it very easy and less messy. i pre permatexted the cork gasket to the cover ahead of time (day before) then after it set up, i gooped the block side and installed it. i even built a jig that i could set some light weights on to give a nice even pressure around the entire edge of the cover.

the advantage was that i didn't have to deal with the gasket slipping and sliding in all directions while i got it into place.

used the same techinque with the valve cover and oil pan.

good luck.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
M
MLT
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
Originally Posted by truckernix
I would like to metion that those flathead screws that you are talking about gave rise to the name "Stovebolt Engine" in 1929!


Well I'll be! That's really neat! I knew I would show my ignorance in this post, lol.

I'll make sure to tell my buddy that when I conscript him to help me put this gasket on.

Thanks for the tips p.j., I need em. wink

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
mlt,

wish i could post the pics i have of how i rigged the gaskets up, but i just got this new camera and i have discovered that my comfuser doesn't like the camera...

if you need a better description let me know. it worked beautifully and i should know, this is the second time i have done it and the first time i just gooped and placed the gasket and it was a dismal failure.

how's the weather in baton rouge?

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
M
MLT
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
No worries, though I will say that I'm much more proficient with computers than wrenches. Why do I have an old truck again? wink

You have a card reader for the camera's storage device? These are way easier to use than navigating the pics direct from the camera... Kinda like presetting the gasket eh?

It's been dry actually, moderate drought they say. About 80 in the afternoon, 40-50's at night. Not bad for us. No hurricanes this year so we can celebrate a little!

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
got the card reader on order.

ironically i do better with a wrench than a computer (although friends of mine would disagree).

spent some time in your part of the world a few lifetimes ago. nice country side. glad to hear the hurricanes are givin you a break.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance as well, but no one has brought this up so I thought I would. When I was taking my 216 apart (and not caring what happened to it since I'm putting in a 235), I didn't know there were a bunch of spongy little rings (gaskets?) under that side plate beneath where it would go around the spark plug openings (see, I don't even know what they are called - thus the ignorance). I don't know if you replace those or if they come with the gasket, but I didn't know they were there and I lost one. I just didn't want you to make the same mistake (that's one of the purposes of this forum right?). Take care - that's a nice looking motor.


'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
paul,

the spoungy things you found are cork gaskets that seal the push rod cover around the spark plugs. they are essential if you want to avoid massive amounts of oil coming out and around a spark plug.

when you purchase a new push rod gasket set, the little round corks rings are included in the set. also note that when you pick up the box for the side cover gasket set it will most likely look too small to match the dimensions of the actual cover. this is because they package the perimeter gasket folded over with a couple of carboard tubes to prevent damage to the cork. takes a little work to get it flattened out before you install it but i my guess is they are trying to cut down on the amount of packaging required to ship.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
M
MLT
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
This is great info. Thanks. I ordered a full gasket set today from Napa and I saw those in the picture. Should save me some time when the gasket transplants take place. I'll definitely be doing the happy dance when I get these nagging oil leaks stopped.

On edit: so p.j., did you pre permatex the plug gaskets to the cover as well?


Last edited by MLT; 11/13/2010 5:15 AM. Reason: See post
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Make sure that the cover is flat on all sealing surfaces and isn't bent. I also make sure and not tighten the bolts to tight, snug and then once I've warmed things up good snug em up a bit more.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 321
mlt,

yes. i put permatex on the rings and the plug gaskets and placed them on the cover at the same time i did the perimeter gasket.

and don is correct about the not over tightening the bolts.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
M
MLT
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
Excellent. I could tell the side cover and valve cover bolts/nuts were just barely tight when I took them off. Good stuff, thanks again.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0