The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Peggy M, Gray_Ghost, Hotrod Lincoln, MickeyP, 55shaker, klhansen, Craig /49 Panel), 102 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,388
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#693951 11/11/2010 1:31 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 19
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 19
Good Morning Guys,
I have a 53 3100 with a 54 235 car engine, 3 speed tranny. I found there was no oil getting to the head. Was thinking pull the head get some head work done correct the oiling problem and roll on. After pulling the head I found that there was some deterioration of the pistons. so it looks like a rebuild or replacement. I'm leaning towards replacement. What year engines will bolt right in, and to that transmission. or how do I find out/what to look for. Where is a good place to start looking for a used engine. (been keeping an eye on swap meet). Also thinking 54 or later full pressuere is better. Thoughts, opinions, Ideas?

Thanks, Melvin

Last edited by mtkr14; 11/11/2010 1:33 PM.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Definitely find a full pressure 235 or even a 261 if you are lucky. I'm running a '55 235 in my truck now. The swap will be easy. There's plenty of info on this site as to what's involved in the changeover. If you don't mind doing more work, the 194-292
later series 6's are good too, but require a change to an open drive line.


Drew
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
I just got done installing a 55-235 power glide "full pressure and hyd. lifters " engine in my 52. The HP is better than the truck 235 and it's the hyd. lifters don't need to be adjusted for a long time,I'm glad I did the differance from the 216 to this 235 is a much quiter more powerful,smother running engine.And I can run at 60 MPH all day.

Pete

Last edited by Pete52; 11/11/2010 6:18 PM.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0