The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (2-Ton), 150 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#691345 11/02/2010 8:14 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 51
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 51
Looking for advice. I have two task force cabs. One has no rust in floor, corners, pockets etc. Only rust is above windshield inside and out. It runs the majority of the length and is severe. Other cab is good from floor up. Body man suggested swapping the tops. I'm going to visit with another Body shop but wondered about patching that area only, rather than the whole top. I'm sure some of you have repaired this area. How did you do it?

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Do the rust and or pin holes extend to the windshield channel? If it does then that's a big problem. Cutting the top off and replacing it is much less a job than filling in the rusted out holes. The pitts and holes mean the metal thickness varies, so welding, grinding, and sanding are tough. All in all, anything is possible. From afar, taking two and making one looks good to me.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 51
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 51
Yes Sir, some of the upper channel is rotten. I wondered about a one piece patch from the other cab say from the corners of the headliner toward the pillars and then on the outside just below or near the rim. I think this is going to be painful. The body man suggested a seam somewhere from the middle of the back window all the way around. I guess they do that when they chop one but sounds way tedious.

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 67
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 67
If I'm reading correctly your other cab only has floor rust & corner rust...correct? If it's a good shop or welder/fabricator who knows how to do chop tops or sections like that, then I'd trust them either way. If you're going the custom route and want a chop top, obviously now is the perfect time lol

If you question the shop or don't want any chance of mis-alignment, then just fix the cab corners/floor on the other cab and call it a day. Then there's no cutting of the top portion of the cab and no chance of mis-aligning the two pieces and having your doors or windows out of wack. Of course it'd depend on how the two are spliced together but if they are off at all, then the geometry is out and usually noticable.

Either way, with a good fabricator anything is possible and should work fine. It's usually not worth the cost to try and repair the window channels and the fabricator better be very good and have a lot of time on his hands. Although it'll most likely still cost more to repair the channels than to splice the two cabs together.


1957 GMC 1/2T SWB Stepper - daily drive for summer
1965 Chevy P10 Shorty Ice Cream Truck - project
1963 GMC Commercial Fire Dept Van - project


http://s1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/otservice/
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 51
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 51
This feedback is helpful to me for when I talk to someone about doing the work. I don't know how to weld. The cab with a good top has bad hinge pockets, cowel, rust around the cab mounts, rocker panels and inner/outer corners. I thought it may be less expensive to try to repair the area above the windshield on the one by avoiding the cost of replacement panels and installation on the other. I suspect someone will say "get a better cab". One more dumb question. Would it make any sense to go the other direction by cutting out bottom rust from one and replacing the lower portion with patches from the other?

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 443
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 443
I had the same problem with the roof. I changed the roof just like your shop guy said. If you cut the good roof off the one cab & weld it to the other it is easier and cheaper than the other way around. I have a lot of PICTURES HERE from when I did my roof. You can PM me if you want to ask any questions about it.


1957 Chevrolet 1/2-ton Stepside LB in the Gallery
My Photobucket shots

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
If it was me, I'd fix the cab that needs the bottom replaced. I have personally replaced the rear inner & outter corners, the rocker/steps, lower hinge pockets and front corners as well as small patches in the floor on a cab I'm working on now. I'm not a welder, but got pretty good by the time I was done.

If finding a better cab is out of the question because of availability (you live in the rust belt), fix what you have. If it's a money reason, save your money and then buy one, in the end you will have spent more money patching your rusty cab than it would have cost to buy a good one. I bet you could buy a good rust free cab from half way across the country for around $1000 and spend about $500 to have it shipped. How far will you get with that same $1500 in the body shop? My guess is not very far...

Good luck...

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 544
Just throwing this out there. Where are the problem areas that are the least noticeable? I'm eyelevel to the seam that would be created to put a new lid on it. You will most likely only see the floor patches and cab corners while laying on a creeper.

Plus, those patches are more manageable and would be much less cost for shop labor.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
im junking a reg window 57 cab to fix my 1957 cameo back window cab im sawzall in out all the floor braces and etc so i dont have to buy new ones and i wasnt going to fix it but i figure im reserecting a big back window cab and to me there worth it cause there hard to find im a certified welder and body man there aint to much i caont do with metal

Last edited by truckshop55; 11/03/2010 4:44 AM.
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 51
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 51
Thanks to all for taking time and providing this information. The problem is, each of you who replied, make good sense with your response. I'm going to have another body man take a look and try to get estimates and make a decision which route to go. Please feel free to jump in this thread if you've had a similar issue.
Thanks again.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
If you look BOTH inner and outer roof skins are aviable. Just a comment if you had not looked.
I have two cabs and am cutting steps from one and fixing the one with some minor roof damage. Mine would cost 3k in sheet metal due to an accident and severe bottom rust. Thats why I am cutting up one with a good roof. For me its a $$$$ decision.

Good luck with your whichever way you decide.

Brad


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0