The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (1955 1 Series, klhansen, John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, 2 invisible), 219 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
Got a question....I have a SM420 in a '52 frame, still has the torque tube set up. I picked up a serviceable '56 3100 rearend and want to change over the center section in the '52 axle. I kinda remember reading something about being able to swap the output shaft to a '55 2nd and later style SM420. Is this possible or should I find the later trans?


1948 Chevrolet 1-Ton Grain Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery SOLD
More pix in Photobucket

"A Man & His Truck--It's a Beautiful Thing!"

"You're never 100% ready, you're just next"....Ty Murray
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
All you need is the rear bearing retainer and yoke from an
open driveline SM420. It's a pretty easy swap.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
Thanks Steve!


1948 Chevrolet 1-Ton Grain Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery SOLD
More pix in Photobucket

"A Man & His Truck--It's a Beautiful Thing!"

"You're never 100% ready, you're just next"....Ty Murray
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
You're welcome hawk.
Here are photos of what you need...as mentioned it is a bolt on after you remove your torque tube rear bearing retainer and u-joint. It would also be a good time to replace the rear seal as well.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 482
You know, it's possible I have that part. Somewhere. Removed it when I installed a gearvendors. I always tell myself never to throw anything away. You never know. Let me know if you might want that and I'll hunt for it.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
orchidskip, I truly appreciate that & I'd be willing to work out something with you if it could be found. No huge rush...I'm headed into winter and wont have a great deal of time to work on it.

Thanks a bunch, Steve, for the pics....extremely helpful for a newb! grin


1948 Chevrolet 1-Ton Grain Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery SOLD
More pix in Photobucket

"A Man & His Truck--It's a Beautiful Thing!"

"You're never 100% ready, you're just next"....Ty Murray

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0