The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (LAJones48, Barry Martak, Otto Skorzeny, Waveski, Shaffer's1950, Rusty Heaps, 1 invisible), 110 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,465
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#688971 10/25/2010 12:55 AM
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 222
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 222
Rebuilt 216 engine with new everything on it, when started it ran poorly. I took the advice of many here on the Forum and check for a vacuum leak on the engine and found that the intake manifold apparently is the problem. I sprayed "Carb Cleaner" around the area where the manifold makes up to the engine and when I did the engine would stumble, thus indicating a leak. This manifold was reconditioned when the engine was rebuilt last year. It was warped so the mating surfaces were built up with weld and milled down to produce an even and uniform surface. A new gasket was installed and it was torqued down accordingly. In light of all this what do you recommend from this point, how can I make this manifold stop leaking and seal tight? I realize I will have to pull it off but where to from here would a double intake manifold gasket solve the leak?
The engine mating surface for the manifold was good and did not need any repair Thanks for the help I appreciate it.


God bless,


Dave


Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Did you install the alignment rings?

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 222
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 222
Yes, especially in that they had to be ground down when the manifold was welded and milled down to fit tightly. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dave


Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The work on the manifold should not have anything to do with the alignment rings. When looking at the interface between the manifold and the head, there should not be any space showing. If there is a space, it is hung up on the rings.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Dave,

If the manifold is not being held out by the alignment rings, go ahead and try two gaskets as a last resort.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 222
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 222
The maifold at one time was hung up due to the rings and would not seal tight to the head in that the alignment rings were keeping it from seating tight. That problem was resolved, but the intake is, as I just discovered, still sucking in air.

Secondarilly and related to this, there is a seal kit for the heat riser on the exhaust side of the mainfold. Dose anyone know where I can get this kit? I tried Bowtie Bitts, Classics of America, Brothers, and Jim Carter, no luck.


Dave


Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
fel pro 8597

your local auto parts can get it
good luck

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
I've heard different ideas about mounting the manifolds. What about loosening both manifolds, retightening to the block from the middle out, then tightening the intake and exhaust back together? Or a different tightening pattern?

Just spit-ballin' here . . .

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Is the heat-riser seal kit you refer to the intake-to-exhaust-manifold gasket in this kit (and is shown above by DADS50)

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 222
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 222
I hope to have the manifold off this week and to my machinest for his evalation. The kit I'm reffering to is the one where the heat riser goes through the side of the mamifold below the carburator. The heat riser that semicircular thing that moves and has a spring on it. There is a seal around the riser shaft mine leaks exhaust. Somewhere I've seen a kit to repalce that seal. As to the leak, any other ideas as to how to make it seal properly. Mike your spit balling idea is not bad.


Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
As I mentioned above, the alignment rings can cause issues. When I did our '40 this spring the machine shop resurfaced the manifold crooked. I had to make the alignment rings off center some to allow the manifolds to fit against the head. The carburetor did sit somewhat tilted towards the valve cover. Once I had the alignment rings surfaced down so the manifold would sit flush against the head I installed the gaskets and tightened it from the center out as others have mentioned. I ended up having the carburetor spacer machined a couple degrees so the carburetor sat level. I'm still not happy with the manifolds be machined wrong but I had to live with what I had to get things going. I'll change it out at some point. It ended up working and running good. Don

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
Theres nothing wrong with a little Ulta Blue Gasket Maker by Prematex around the intake ring than the gasket and a little more around the ring again before installing the intake manifold I only use it when there's a problem,almost never but You have to remember that a head and manifold that are 50+ years old might have some pits in the surface ,and We all don't have the money to get machining done all the time.

Fel-Pro makes a intake gasket set that has the intake to head and the heat riser gaskets


Pete

Last edited by Pete52; 10/26/2010 4:06 AM.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0