The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,494
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 205
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 205
OK I have a small block chevy. Need to know if I need a short shaft or long shaft water pump. This is going in my 48 1/2 ton 3100.

Also what is the best source for a great radiator.

Tom


48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window
"The Big Dog"
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 232
Several things to consider.

1. How much room between the front of the engine to the radiator?

2. Do you already have brackets for the motor to mount accesories? if so for long or short pump.

3. Electric fan or belt driven?

I went with a long pump on my 39 but I set the motor back as far as I could. Only about 1/2 inch between distributor and firewall. I also had to run different valve covers than I was originally going too.

As far as a radiator I had mine built by PRC, it was about $500 but it is a great product. No cooling issues at all and Im running a mechanical fan with no shroud.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Short pump, always. Never heard a swapper say, "darn, this engine is too short". One drawback is that the last short pumps in cars were in 1968 and 1972 in trucks. This means you usually have to buy new (repro) brackets and they can be pricey. Still it's a lot easier to use spacers and fan shroud that to modify a space to take something too long.


Evan
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
I have clearance for a long pump but I'm going to change over to a short pump .I like the idea of more clearance.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 205
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 205
I agree on the short pump How much differance is there?

Tom


48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window
"The Big Dog"
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 40
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 40
I went with the "short" pump on my SBC swap & I went to
a elect. pull fan because it is somewhat "crampted" under
the hood, I went with an Amer. Radiator HD unit. (I had some
over heating problems & this cleared things up for me !)
Make sure you use a good aftermarket mount, both front
& rear, they are cheap & make things quite easy for you !
See either Classic Parts (# 79-405 for $55 (or Brothers ).
Here is your problem if you set the engine to far back (with
a longer pump) is getting the dist. in & out !


'53 GMC "Ranger"

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0