The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Gray_Ghost, dt235sd, Steelonsteel, Nick in Manitou, frogfarmer, Bill Hanlon, mick53), 103 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#67964 10/29/2006 9:14 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 136
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 136
My 1970 350 hasn't been run for more than an hour, a few minutes at a time, for the past 5 years. When it wouldn't start recently I decided it was time for a new carb, so I blithely phoned in an order for a new Edelbrock 500cfm. When I told my mechanic what I had done, he was kind, but The look on his face declared that it was my money, and I could spend it as foolishly as I like. I subsequently searched the archives on this site, and found that the preponderance of opinion is that Holleys are for hi-performance, Edelbrocks are good, but for street use on a stock motor, nothing beats a Rochester quadrajet. I have Rochester 4-bbl, but I don't know if it's a quadrajet. I searched several Q-jet sites on the web, and am still uncertain.

My carb is embossed with 'Rochester 4 jet' in two places on the bowl cover. There is a triangular tag on the front with the number 7024122. In a recess on the underside of the bowl section is the number 7028823. On the top of the base is the number 11644. It is manual choke, and inside, the carb doesn't appear very complex- there are two sets of double floats. The hole in the bottom of the air cleaner is about 4 3/16". The intake manifold has four round holes under the carb.

After thoroughly cleaning it and blowing out all the passages, the truck started, I timed it, and it seems to run fine around the yard. I believe it is the original carb, but I'm not sure. Block and head casting numbers tell me this is a 1970-71 truck engine. My question is -- do I have a quadrajet? If not, what is it, and is it worth rebuilding? I'm looking for good mileage and keep-up-with-traffic performance.

Thanks in advance for the help.

#67965 10/29/2006 11:19 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The carb. you discribe is not a Q-jet. & did not come on 70-71 models. It is a good carb. however. It is similar in performance to the Edelbrock. These are called square bore carbs. because the primaries & secondaries are the same or near same in size. The Q-jet is called a spread bore. The secondaries are much larger than the primaries. This gives good gas mileage & drivability at idle & part throttle. Also the manifold you use may not fit spread bore carbs. I would keep useing it if it is working good. I understand there is a demand for the 4 jet on E-bay & swap meets. They came on many models up to 65 & guys want to go back to originality. They are getting rare.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#67966 10/30/2006 1:13 PM
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 136
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 136
Thanks, wrenchbender. Valuable info.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0