The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
I am in the process of rewiring my 46. The old wires were pretty much toast. 1 year ago, I took out the old harness..problem is, the new harness does not include directions on how to wire the dizzy. The 41-46 manual shows the remote reversing switch...but that does not help me much...

From the ignition switch to the positive side on the coil? Neg goes to one side of the dizzy. Which side?

The side closest to the engine or the outside away from the engine?

It also looks like there is a wire that connects the two side terminals of the dizzy together....

I need a quick lesson in Dizzy wiring...

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
46 In Progress,

I am going to start flapping without having ever seen your type of distributor.

Your wiring is perfect as you have stated. Key switch to positive of coil and negative of coil to distributor.

If you are going to scrap the polarity reversing switch, which would probably be a good idea, you will connect your primary lead wire to the distributor post that captures the points spring.

The other post needs to be grounded to the distributor somehow..maybe with a small external wire, or removing a insulating bushing.

I am guessing that the distributor plate(or points&condenser) in your rig is insulated from ground. The manual says the polarity reversing switch would supply voltage to one distributor post, while supplying a ground to the other..this polarity would be reversed every time the rig was started.

In a conventional distributor, the points ground through the housing. In your old style, ground was taken back to the switch on the starter and flip flopped each start cycle.

If you have a ohmmeter, you could confirm this.

Keep in mind, I might have my head up my... eek


edit: Yahooo for Stu's memory..and the link. grin


http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002154#000008

Stuart

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
What's a "dizzy"?


My truck: She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's all mine!
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
dist?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
Thanks Stu,

I don't remember the exact year, but somewhere around 42, I think Chev scrapped the reversing switch and grounded the points on the distributor. That's where I am having the issue with the manual diagram.

Looking distributor, I do have three points for connecting wires. It appears I have one wire hooked to the wrong spot. After lunch, I will go out and take a longer look and see what I have hooked up wrong.

Thanks again for the help.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
46 In Progress,

As I mentioned above, I have never been into one of the distributors. Chev's of the 40's does show a very specific set of points for the distributors with a polarity reversing switch, so my guess would be that these points are insulated in a different fashion than a standard set.

If you are going to make yours "standard", you will probably have to get conventional points at your auto parts store.

Stuart

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
Hey Stu, you pegged it. I did not have the ground in the right spot.

5 minutes and I had spark.

Another 5 minutes to figure out I had the dizzy in 180 and...

YYYEEEEEEHAAAAWWWW! It runs.....

365 days on the dot since it last ran and it fired right up!!!!

Progress Progress!!!!

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
Oh, a dizzy is what we called a distributor. I've only lived up here 8 years. Still haven't quite figured out "Yankee talk"!


My truck: She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's all mine!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
pablos49,

The real question is have you learned to speak "Packer" yet...

I was a cheesehead for 10 years and the wife is a natural born cheesehead..her relatives go nuts if you even mention the Vikings at a family get together....

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
46, Atomarc is the best my 42 runs because of him also. So So sweet isn't it!


The crew that works on the \'42 --Sara, Hannah and Abby
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 262
46 in Progress,
Nope, haven't learned to talk Packer so far! Like you my wife is a native born "Cheesehead". I know exactly what you mean about saying anything (at least anything good) about the Vikings. Being from TX I'm a Cowboys fan, despite terrell owens!


My truck: She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's all mine!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0