| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,177 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 | I have attached the email exchange I had with pertronix in regards to my 6 volt pertronix module and converting to 12 volts. They say due to the type of coil I have (pertronix flamethrower) I do not need a ballast resistor in front of the coil. They say the coil itself has is a 12 volt and has a built in resistor to manage the ingition module.
Does that sound right??? I would prefer not to fry my ignition but if I don't need a resistor I would prefer not to buy one and mount it on the firewall. I attached the email trail with their specific comments. (it reads from the bottom up)
Thoughts??? _________________________________________ Pertronix Rich, just to let you know ballast resistors do not come in 12-volt / 6-volt "models". They are rated by the amount of resistance they produce. Example; you can purchase a 1-ohm, 1.5-ohm, 2-ohm etc resistor. To answer your questions, no resistor required. The resister is in the coil itself. __________________________________________ me so I should still put a 6 volt ballast resistor in front of the coil right? Any recomendations on type? __________________________________________ Pertronix Rich, a vast majority of the time there are no issues doing this. The coil you are using is actually the coil we would recommend for 12-volt systems. _________________________________________ Me It is a 1167N6 electronic ignition The coil is a 1.5 ohm part number 40011 __________________________________________ Pertronix Rich, I will need to know the part numbers of both the Ignitor kit and the coil to advise you. _________________________________________ Me I have a 53 truck with a 6 volt generator and a 6v negative ground pertronix ignition with a flamethrower coil. I am contemplating installing a 12 volt alternator. Can I keep the current pertronix set up if I put a ballast resistor in front of my current 6v pertronix flamethrower and ignition module to keep the feed power to the coil at 6 volts.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | sounds pretty clear to me, there is no resistor needed with your setup because it already has the correct resistance for a 12V system built into the coil
Bill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | That solid state system is not the same as the old points system. The only choice you really have is to take their word for it or buy a new 12 volt setup. | | |
| |
| |