| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,431 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#67482 10/21/2006 1:48 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 396 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 396 | I have a 1951 1 ton chevy with 216 engine, original 4 speed tranny and 5.13 rear axel ratio. I have axcess to what is discribed as a 1972 chevy 3/4 ton rear pumpkin with a 3.54 ratio. Will this bolt into my existing differential? I do not haul loads with this truck and would love to drive a bit faster than the current 45 MPH. I must add that for rear tires, I am running 255/85R16 tires. Thus equiped, will this ratio be Too LOW? Thanks for any input, Jerry Jerry
| | |
#67483 10/21/2006 3:17 AM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | That ratio should be OK. It's also somewhat rare. I've only seen one myself. The entire third member will swap right in, no need to change the entire housing.
Bill Burmeister | | |
#67484 10/23/2006 12:45 PM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 237 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 237 | That's right on rare. I've never even heard of them or seen them listed in any chevy list for this axle. 3.90, 4.10, 4.56, 5.13 I've heard of, but never a 3.54. Are you sure it's a GM and not an International? They look similar.
If (and I mean if) it fits, you'll have plenty of highway gearing... but you can forget about using your truck as a 1 ton. You'll have little low end grunt, even if you have the granny 4 speed. | | |
#67485 10/23/2006 6:08 PM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 345 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 345 | Unless you plan on swapping out your tranny for a 5 speed, I'd definately get that 3.54. You may not be able to pull as much but it will help your top end and streetability, and make life easier on your engine. If you later decide to change things I'm sure you can sell it to someone on this site and recoup your cost. | | |
| |
| |